Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willpwr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Water runs for 30 seconds and then stops running
    For 5 days now whenever we turn on a faucet the water runs as expected for maybe 30 seconds and then just quits running. This is happening in the kitchen, shower, washing machine, basically everywhere in the house. We live outside the city limits and just recently started receiving 'city' water prior to which we were on a community well. Our meter is at the street and the water lines runs about 1/4 mile until it reaches the house. I suspect that when we turn on the faucet the water in the 1" water line between the house and the street flows through the faucet and once the line is empty we get no more water until the line fills again. I think it is a pressure problem somehow connected to the water company however my phone calls to them go unanswered as does the voicemail I leave. Does my suspicions make sense or do you think I have a problem somewhere along the 1/4 mile water line leading to my house?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 29, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Hey willpwr:

First thing to check is the water meter. Turn on the faucets again to where you have no water again... then go downstairs and disconnect the union fitting to the water meter... if no water at the meter you were on the right track in that the city may have an issue at the shutoff or there is an issue in pipe coming to the house.

The city needs to get involved... call your local board of health if you don't get anywhere with the water department... let them know what is happening and for how long it has been happening.

Otherwise, show up at the local water department and talk to the manager. I would NOT leave any more voice mails!! Time for action!

Check for water at the meter... if full water pressure at the meter... check for a pressure reducing valve (see pic.) or similar device inline between meter and first fixture in the home. This valve could be clogged!

Let me know what you think... MARK

Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 29, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Have you paid your water bill because it does sound like the city has shut you down. Their gate valves are always 100% and can cause what you have described. Is this a multilevel home, does the water act different in lower levels?

May 29, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Thanks for responding to my Help Desk question. First, yes I have paid my water bill on the 8th and they cashed the check on the 14th. It is a multi-level home and all faucets in the entire house act the same. I again called the private water company, Deer Creek Water Supply Co. in Dripping Springs Texas, and they kept telling me I had a leaking or broken pipe on my side of the meter. I then explained that I had taken a meter reading at 7 p.m. last night and again at 11 a.m. this morning and only 10 gallons had been used ( probably from flushing toilets a half dozen times ). I also explained to them that a faucet less than 1 foot from the meter was only trickling out water. They said they'd send someone out. To my knowledge they have not. Now we have no water. Three other plumbers I have spoken with believe the problem is on the water company's side. I'll be calling the county health department in the morning.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 30, 2008, 03:52 AM
    Keep us posted...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 30, 2008, 03:59 AM
    I also explained to them that a faucet less than 1 foot from the meter was only trickling out water.
    Up until I read that I was ready to blame your house piping for your volume loss. But that puts the focus squarely on the city. That one sentence alone should get their attention. I know it got mine. Call the city, It's their problem now. It doesn't matter what caused the problem the city has to fix it. Good luck, Tom

May 30, 2008, 05:40 PM
    The water company came out and checked their meter and pronounced it sound. I then showed them the faucet 1 foot away and how water was just coming out slowly. We then turned the faucet on and it ran slowly however it ran and ran and ran for the entire time we stood speaking, about 8 - 10 minutes. So the problem actually was on my side ( I feel pretty foolish ). The water company person suggested a plumbing outfit he knew personally so I called them and late this afternoon they came out. The man asked a few questions, walked around and viewed the entire waterline and then asked if I had any filters. I told him I had a water softener which I had turned off since we got 'city' water and a Omni filter to remove rust in the water. He had me remove the Omni filter and to my surprise, but not his, it was full of mud. I changed the filter, paid him $153 for his experience ( since I did all the work ) and now life is back to normal. 5 days without water because of a mud clogged Omni filter. I'm grateful that's all it was however I feel rather foolish.
    Thanks to everyone who tried to help me on this web site. Hopefully one day I can return the favor with a computer answer.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2008, 08:06 PM
    20/20 hidesight but we should have asked you if you had a filter. I know Mark asked about a PRV but none of us thought filter. I change my Omni 3x per year.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 31, 2008, 09:33 AM
    I showed them the faucet 1 foot away and how water was just coming out slowly. We then turned the faucet on and it ran slowly however it ran and ran and ran for the entire time we stood speaking, about 8 - 10 minutes. So the problem actually was on my side ( I feel pretty foolish ). The water
    And now I feel pretty foolish! You say the problem was in the filter and yet you tell us,
    I also explained to them that a faucet less than 1 foot from the meter was only trickling out water.
    I want to know how both statements can be true. Regards Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water stops running [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well and septic. Recently, the hot water has stopped running shortly after turning on and then after a bit (less than a minute) it comes on with full pressure. The kitchen has never had the water pressure that the rest of the house has, what could cause this? I also get a gurgling...

Hot water runs for a minute and then stops [ 3 Answers ]

The hot water in the house for a minute and then stops.I have a mixer tap which I take the top off and blow back the hot water for a minute.The hot water runs again for a minute then stops.There is no banging in the pipes or any noise ,and the hot water system is full

Upstairs Bathroom Sink - Cold water tab runs very warm for first 30 seconds. [ 14 Answers ]

I do not know much about plumbing. I live in the USA. I have a 60 gallon gas water heater. My problem started maybe a month or two ago. In the bathroom sink of my home's second story the cold water in the sink will run very warm (almost hot) for the first 30 seconds. After that it goes back to...

Engine stops after a few seconds [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old Murray Select lawn mower with a 6.5 Briggs & Straton engine. The engine cuts out after a few seconds after I prime it. I had the same problem last spring so I had the engine serviced, they tuned it up, replaced the gas line and put fresh gas in. I am having the exact problem...

View more questions Search