Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a10p123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 12:51 AM
    Physics
    HI,
    Can anyone explain in detail, Why Bicycle is not falling while riding and whereas in Ideal it falls imm.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2006, 04:54 AM
    :confused: Huh?

What do you mean by "not falling while riding and whereas in Ideal it falls imm."
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Hi,
    Welcome to this site, and thanks for asking a question here.
    Why does a bicycle not fall over when being ridden?
    It's called "center of gravity".
    Every object that has weight, has a center of gravity. It's the point the average weight of the object is centered. It's the "middle" of the weight.
    For example, if you want to balance your computer keyboard on one finger, you would have to hold the keyboard up, on the end of your finger, placed in the middle of the keyboard, at it's center of gravity.
    This center of gravity is the point where the Earth's gravity pull is straight down toward the Earth's core.
    When riding a bicycle, the bicycle's center of gravity is being balanced on the tires, so the Earth's gravity pull is straight down on the tires, and the bicycle is said to be "balanced".
    If you lean the bicycle over, not riding it, then the center of gravity isn't on the tires anymore, not balanced, and will fall when let go.
    Another example:
    If you want to balance a pencil on one finger, you must place your finger under the center of the pencil; called the center of gravity. It will then "balance" the rest of the weight on you finger, and won't fall off. If you place you finger near the end of the pencil, it will fall, depending on which way most of the weight is.
    The Earth's gravity pull "pulls" on the center of gravity of every object that has weight.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 3, 2006, 07:18 AM
    I believe that what keeps a bicycle upright while moving forward is the "law of conservation of angular momentum" , aka gyroscopic inertia. Do a search for gyroscope, and it will give you as detailed explanation as you wish.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Mar 3, 2006, 08:40 PM
    In response to Dr D - gyroscopic inertia will not keep a bicycle upright. What actually does keep the bike upright is minute adjustments to the steering that keep the centre of gravity centred over the two wheels. It is developing a feel for these minute adjustments and having them become second nature that people do when learning how to ride a bike.

Try sometime to ride a bike in a perfectly straight line, like down the centre line of a quiet street. You'll find that you cannot stay upright without steering off the line, even for a little bit. I recall a demonstration once where the steering was locked on a bike. Even at speeds with lots of angular momentum on the wheels, it was impossible to keep the bike upright.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 4, 2006, 08:48 AM
    I believe that I shall have to eat some crow on this one. In retrospect, gyroscopic inertia would be virtually nill at slow speeds, and maintaining an upright position would be dependent on the balancing skill of the rider. As the speed increases, I still think that the gyro effect makes this task easier, enabling the rider to operate hands free.
    student1985 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2008, 06:16 AM

Two vibrating sources emit waves in the same elastic medium. The first has a frequency of 25 Hz, while the frquency of the second source is 75 Hz. Waves from the first source have a wavelength of 6.0 m. They reflect from a barrier back into the original medium, with an angle of reflection of 25 degrees. Waves from the second source refract into a different medium with an angle of incidence of 35 degrees. The speed of the refracted waves is obaserved to the 96 m/s.

Q. What is the speed of the waves from the first source in the original medium? Which formula should I use...
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 08:31 PM

Hi student1985. Could you please start another thread for your question? Thanks
    student1985 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 06:58 AM

What is the speed of the waves from the second source in the original medium? Explain your answer.
    A.E Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2011, 07:52 AM
    I think the bicycle does not fall because the center of gravity due to motion of the bicyle keeps changing and thus the equilibrium is disturbed and set up at every point of the path of motion.
    Just an idea.Criticism and suggestions will be gladly accepted.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2011, 08:01 AM

Criticism: Check out the date the question was posted before posting an answer. As a matter of fact, this very thread was created in 2006 and 5 years later, I'm use that the asker has already either solved the problem or has growth enough either to know the answer or no longer bothers the answer.

Jul 15, 2011, 08:08 AM
    Comment on A.E's post
    Since the equilibrium keeps getting disturbed and setup,the bicycle doesn't get proper state to fall and it remains upright and somehow I think friction against the motion has a great role to keep it upright.But in ideal setup the bicycle topples sideways due to imbalance and inability to maintain equilibrium

Jul 15, 2011, 09:01 AM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    Just expressing my thoughts and also do old questions have to be ignored if u can give a different idea?
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2011, 09:40 AM

You clearly don't know the forum etiquette. When someone posts in an old thread, that thread is said to be revived. This is something that is not appreciated in most, if not all forums.

It's good that you want to answer questions and provide suggestions, but why are you answering very old questions while you can answer more recent questions and actually help people? There is not much point in posting an answer which will hopefully help a future member while you can right now help people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics [ 1 Answers ]

An electron starts from rest 5.50 cm from the center of a uniformly charged insulating sphere of radius 2.90 cm. If the sphere carries a total charge of how fast will the electron be moving when it reaches the surface of the sphere? Note: Assume a reference level of potential V = 0 at r= infinity

Need Physics help please [ 1 Answers ]

How far will a stone travel over level ground if it is thrown upward at an angle of 30 degrees with respect to the horizontal and with a speed of 30 m/s? What is the maximum range that can be achieved if a stone is thrown with an initial speed of 24 m/s?

Physics please help now [ 2 Answers ]

What is the average speed, if a person drives for 30.0 min at 80.0 km/h, 12.0 min at 100 km/h, and 45.0 min at 40.0 km.h and spends 15.0 min eating lunch and buying gas? The back of my textbook states that the answer is 52.9, but I don't know how to solve it!!

Gr 11 physics.. Need help again [ 0 Answers ]

An amateur ball player runs at an average speed of 6.0 m/s between home plate and first base and 9.0 m/s between first and second. If the distance between the bases is 27.4 m and the base lines form an angle of 90 degrees, calculate his average velocity. Ans: 5.1 m/s A diver on a...

HELP please! Gr 11 physics [ 1 Answers ]

A boy is sitting in his tree house and observes a falling walnut passing from the top to the bottom of his window. The window is 2.5 m tall and it takes 0.43 s for the walnut to pass the window. How far is tehtop of the window from the squirrel above it that dropped the window? Ignore air...

View more questions Search