Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 28, 2008, 05:30 PM
    It's not malpractice as long as the attorney asked for things that he felt would protect your friend. What your friend's attorney did is standard practice. The basic form of broker's contract in NJ contains many provisions that protect the broker but not the buyer or seller and it is customary for the attorneys to send proposed riders that remove those provisions, and also to include provisions that will benefit their clients.

For example, I'm sure that your friend's attorney included in the rider a provision that extended the time for the home inspection, since the standard broker's contract says that it will expire within 10 days after the date the contract is signed. Most attorneys will extend it until 10 days after the date of completion of attorney review. That way your friend wouldn't have to spend $500 on a home inspection when they may not even have a firm contract. Other times were probably extended the same way as well.

Tell your friend that most likely, the attorney did exactly what they were supposed to do. The seller did something that was sleazy, but not illegal.

Check out some similar questions!

Attorney review period [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a friend who thought they were close to buying a house. They were in attorney review period (in NJ). The 3 days had passed. I believe it was the 4th day when my friend called the realtor and asked what's up. The realtor said that she better call her attorney, because there's another...

Attorney review period in NJ [ 16 Answers ]

I recently signed a contract to purchase a home in NJ. The sellers signed the contract and we are now in the "Attorney Review Period". Can I have the contract reworded by any attorney during this time to help me get out of the contract? There is another home that I would like to purchase and I...

Physicans Ethics [ 2 Answers ]

I am cancered that my Husband's Dr. is being unethical because he won't give him any pain medication unless I come in and give a pee test that I would have to pay for. This is to make sure that I'm not taking any of his medication. Is this right or not?:confused:

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.