Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

May 28, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Tips on moving into an apartment.
    Hey everyone!

I'm moving out on my own August 1 (hopefully, if everything works out like I want it to) and so I've found some websites with some questions, things to look at on the lease, ways to make sure you get your security deposit back, etc, etc.

Just wanted to see if anyone had some helpful advice for me as to what to look for, any good questions to ask, or any experiences that might help.

Thanks!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 28, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Right before you move in, walk through the apartment with your landlord and take pictures of everything. Then do the same thing when you eventually move out. This way the landlord can't hold you responsible for any damages that existed before you moved in.

If the landlord can't or won't walk through with you, then do the walk through yourself, take tons of pictures, make two copies of each, send one set to the landlord by mail (with a cover letter) and keep one set for yourself.

If there are any repairs that need to be made, put it in writing! Don't rely on phone calls or emails. If the landlord makes any kind of promises, put it in writing! Never rely on verbal agreements.

Finally, read through some of the questions and answers here on the Real Estate Law forum to get an idea of the types of problems that tenants have had.

Good luck!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 06:58 PM

I like Lisa's idea. As a LL I actually do a similar walk through but with a video camera so I can talk and tape everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Moving on adivce.tips [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Sooo its been over 6 months that me and my ex is broken up and I feel like its time to move on but I need some help... I have had other opportunities recently but I wasn't interested. About 2 weeks ago I had to go to the hospital I decided to go to a hospital my friend works at....

Moving to An Apartment With Nothing! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! My boyfriend and I are moving in together and I can't be more excited. But... We have Nothing! Execpt a bed lol. We have very little money to spend. We wanted to know a cheap place to get furniture?

Tips on to get over something [ 3 Answers ]

About a month ago I wacthed the movie the ring and it creeped the hell out of me I couldn't stop thinking about it but after a few days it was washing away but then I went and wathced the movie with my mates and its never stopped since and every time I go up to there house that's all I think about...

Moving on but moving backwards. [ 3 Answers ]

Its been over a year since me an my man split. We were together for 7 1/2 years. I don't know where we went wrong. I remember one day waking up beside him and him showing me a ring asking me to spend the rest of my life with him an that's when everything changed. We were engaged for only 3 months...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search