Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Reisigl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2004, 01:46 PM
    Home Plumbing
    HI
    (!st time user) I am replacing the Main copper on/off valve.

How do I connect a one inch copper outside main water pipe to a one inch PVC pipe, (which is connected to meter side) ?

Additional info have 6 inches of copper and 6 inches of PVC above ground.

I do not want to solder but will except glueing if VERY RELIABLE.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2004, 02:23 PM
    Re: Home Plumbing
    If you are cutting or unsoldering a sweat soldered valve off a copper line, it may not be that easy. First you need to identify the size and type of pipe and any thread. Water lines are commonly 3/4'' inside diameter. The copper tubing is about 7/8'' outside. The incoming line may be larger. Pipe is even larger, slightly over 3/4'' inside and about an inch outside.

If the old line is threaded, all you need to do is to identify its size and buy the proper pipe thread to PVC adapter. Gluing PVC goes very well. You can buy a little can of PVC cement. It has sort of a brush in the cap. Once they are clean, just brush some on both the end of the pipe and inside the fitting, and slip the pipe in the fitting. To make sure all goes well, pick up a can of primer, and brush a little of it on first.

If the old line isn't threaded, you can still avoid soldering. I have heard about, but never saw epoxy meant to replace solder. You may be able to find a compression fitting to fit the pipe. Brass ones are common in smaller sizes, and are very reliable. You will need a compression to pipe thread adapter, and a pipe to PVC adapter. Often you can only find male adapters. If so, use a copper coupling to connect the 2 males. Never mix copper and galvanized without special dielectric fittings.

You can also buy plastic compression fittings. I have used them several times, and they work fine. Note, I have wired mine together going back to the nearest fitting to give a secure mechanical connection to keep the joint from coming apart. I think you understand the need for a reliable connection. Study the problem, measure your pipes and tubing. Compare them to what is on the shelf at the hardware store or home center. Home centers may be better stocked, but hardware stores are more likely to have somebody that can give good answers to questions we can answer here.

One more point. Where is your water coming from? How are you going to shut it off while you instal the new valve? If it is your own well, you can just turn off the pump and drain the tank. If it is city water, the city may have fixed ideas about who can work on water lines and what materials they may use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Plumbing [ 6 Answers ]

Help kitchen faucet- water willnot come through spigot I replaced washers, when water was turned on would not flow through faucet what do I need to do now?

Plumbing [ 5 Answers ]

Bought an old house - over 50 yrs old in town - sewer problems from day one - Backed up sewage - had plumber in and of course paid out a large sum of money for a continuous problem. Long story short - had a bunch of roots in the concrete pipes. Now that seems to be fixed - I hope. Problem now is...

PVC PLumbing in mobile home [ 7 Answers ]

I have PVC water supply lines that screw right onto the faucets. I have to turn the house water supply off to change a washer is there a way to add a shut of valve? Can I simply cut the line and use a hose clamp to attach a shut off valve and then use braided metal hose to go up to faucet?

Adding plumbing for tub/ toilet to home [ 1 Answers ]

We have an older farm home and are doing some remodeling and wish to add a toilet and a tub to our existing laundry room which consists of a concrete slab. What ideas do you have as to the plumbing applications that we could use to make this work? All the plumbing pipes are in the main portion...

View more questions Search