Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JD14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Best lens
    :confused: what is the best size lens I could use for landscapes and wildlife and what make :confused:
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 28, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Best is such a relative term you haven't really given enough information to go on.
    What body is it to fit and what is your budget are some information we need for starters.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Jun 2, 2008, 10:44 AM
    For wildlife, you need a telephoto lens, the bigger the number the better (and the more expensive). This is so you can get a close up shot of a wild animal from far away - so you don't scare the animal. You will also need a tripod to hold the camera and lens steady to avoid blur caused by hand-holding a long telephoto lens.

Most landscape photos are taken with a wide angle lens, the smaller the number the better (but not a fish-eye lens). You also need a tripod as most landscape photos are taken with a small f-stop (big f-stop number) which requires a slow shutter speed, and again you will get blur if you try to hand-hold the camera for this type of shot.

You may be tempted to get a zoom lens that goes from wide angle to telephoto. However, the longer the zoom the lower quality the images so for best quality you need 2 different lenses for these different types of photography.

Sigma makes a supertele that goes from 50-500 mm. The images from this lens are not as crisp and sharp as one from a dedicated lens at a given focal length. The 50mm end isn't wide enough for most landscape photography. On the other hand, this lens is around $1000, which is much less than the better quality lenses, giving you a chance to learn about this type of photography without a huge investment in top-quality glass. This lens is available in Canon EOS, Nikon (D), Sigma, Pentax, Sony and Four Thirds mounts.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 4, 2008, 08:13 AM
    For landscape photography, use "normal" or wide angle lens. It doesn't have to be fast lens since you will use tripod and long exposures anyway.
    okinawa Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2008, 08:39 PM
    24mm works for me, just wide enough but no soft edges.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Aug 13, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by okinawa
    24mm works for me, just wide enough but no soft edges.
    24 mm is great for landscapes, but not for wildlife photos. You need a long telephoto to get photos of wildlife, not a wide angle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converging lens [ 2 Answers ]

A converging lens has a focal length of 20.0 cm. Locate the images for object Distances of (a) 40.0 cm, (b) 20.0 cm, and (c) 10.0 cm. For each case, complete ray Tracing diagrams, state whether the image is real or virtual and upright or inverted, and Find the magnification.

What does MMd on a sigma lens mean [ 6 Answers ]

My husband has a Nikon d40x and a man is trying to sell him a Sigma 70-300MM lens, the man states that it says 70-300mmd on the lens itself, what does MMD mean? Please help I forot to tell you the man has a nikon D1

Lens power [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, earlier I had a reading glasses which was +1 that was when I was 42 years. Now after 2 years doctor is suggesting +1.50. Does it mean my vision getting dimmer?

Camera Lens [ 3 Answers ]

Which is sharper, a fixed length focal lens or a zoom lens?

View more questions Search