Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnix612 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2004, 06:44 PM
    Dyer Not Drying
    I put the hose to the dryer and the other end that is attached to the house. I made sure it was secure. Once today the dryer was not even warm and I checked that hose and it had popped off. I replaced it. Now my close are drying, but at a slow rate and the hand dial thing is not moving closer to the shut off point. I have checked that hose thing and it's on. Now there was a tear and it was pushed up so it does not show.

Would that be my problem? Do I need to replace that or is it something else?

Sorry, I have never had to deal with this and this is my first house. You should see the job I did on putting up my mail box. There is a mound of dirt where I dug the hole for the pole and cement. But my neighbors don't have a mound of dirt. UGHGGH! ;D
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2004, 07:20 PM
    Re: Dyer Not Drying
    It doesn't sound to me like the dryer is working correctly. As long as air is free to go out of the dryer into the hose, it should not make any difference in how the dryer dries. The hose is only to carry all the damp air out of the house, and maybe fumes from a gas dryer. Is this a dryer that worked elsewhere before that you moved there, or one that was in the house already? Do the clothes get warm? Does air come out of the hose, either where it isn't connected right, or outside? Maybe we can figure this one out.

It is normal to end up with dirt left over when you put a post in.
    jnix612 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2004, 04:07 PM
    It is electric. It worked properly in the apartment I was in. Now in the house it does not work. The close get warm, not hot and the knob does not move. It never shuts off. I'm not sure if air is getting through the hose.

sepp99 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2004, 05:43 PM
    It's the heating element.

Sometimes the element will fail.  You can check the continuity (resistance) of the element with a multi-meter to be certain this is the problem.

The reason why the dryer is slightly warm is because the element is in the process of failing completely. Soon it won't work at all.

Always unplug any electrical device before you work on it. ;)  The only tool you'll need is probably a phillips screwdriver. Remove the panel (usually on the back) and remove the element.  Take it to your local washer-dryer/parts repair shop (check the yellow pages)  and you will end up paying about ~25$ depending on the model. Alternatively, you could call a handyman in the local paper who will do it at a reasonable rate.

Good luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirpool Senseon Dryer not drying [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I have an electric Whirlpool Senseon dryer that's 6 years old. In the past 6 months the dryer has been taking much longer to dry. I have an appliance warranty through our local utility. I've made a call and they have dispatched one of their contract appliance repair contractors...

Whirlppol dryer not drying [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool dryer about 3.5 years old. The last 2 weeks it takes 2.5 hours to dry one load. I have cleaned all possible vents, the element still heats, it just doesn't dry! Very frustrating.:mad: Any help would be great! Thanks:)

Dryer not drying [ 1 Answers ]

My frigidaire dryer is heating but not drying in the appropriate time. It takes forever for the clothes to dry. Could this be the heating element?

Gas dyer problem [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi I am an HVAC tech an having problems with my Frigidaire gas dyer M#GLGR331AS2, S#XD31100005. Here it goes, it runs for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then cycles off, the flame. When it goes to relite the HSI warms up...

Dryer not drying, heating [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I would like to fix this myself! My electric dryer is heating, but not drying my clothes. My lint trap is always clean every time I check it- which is weird because usually it needs to be cleaned between loads! When I open my dryer door (my dryer keeps going even when I open the door-...

View more questions Search