Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harryft Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 02:56 AM
    I have form 1042S, how shd I file my tax return
    I have received form 1042S (for 2007) from my University, however I am no longer in US, how shd I file my tax returns.. what other forms I should send to IRS along with 1042S to file my tax return
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 28, 2008, 04:35 AM
    Depends upon the type of income and the amount, if your non-exempt income exceeds the filing requirement, you must file the tax return. If you were a student, you will file nonresident tax return and form 8843.
    You can download form from Internal Revenue Service and send the paper return.

May 28, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    Depends upon the type of income and the amount, if your non-exempt income exceeds the filing requirement, you must file the tax return. If you were a student, you will file nonresident tax return and form 8843.
    You can download form from Internal Revenue Service and send the paper return.
    Hi MukatA... tahnks 4 your reply
    I was a j1 scholar from INDIA and 14% was withheld from my income every month.. my gross income was arnd 27000$ & I stayed in US for little less than a yr... comment
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 29, 2008, 09:07 AM
    You should be eligible to claim a TOTAL tax exemption, which means you will get ALL of the withheld income taxes back. Contact the HR department of the university to ask why they did not consider you eligible for this tax exmeption under Article 22 of the U.S.-India Tax Treaty.

You would have to file Form 1040NR-EZ and cite that article when claiming the total exemption.

If you need professional help, email me at the email addresss below.

May 29, 2008, 10:08 PM
    Hi... Atlanta Tax expert... thanks for your reply... I have mailed you on the id you provided for professional help.. kindly reply soon
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 29, 2008, 10:42 PM
    Yes, it is good idea to seek professional help and AtlantaTaxExpert has all the experience to do such tax returns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to file State Tax Return? I have 2 pages in W2 form. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Lasst year I was in US for just 1 month and 2 days on H1B. My client office was in NY and I use to live in NJ. I received my W2 form which has 2 pages. It shows state tax for NY = 300$ and for NJ it is $1.04. My total earnings during this time was around $6000 (Gross). Do I need to file my...

Which form should I use to file tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was in the US last year for 4 months. I was on H1 along with my wife who was on H4. I have the following queries regarding filing the tax return for 2007: What form I should use to file the return? Can I eFile? I understand that I need to submit a notorized copy of my wife's...

Which form I should file for tax return 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Here is my information: 2004 : F-1 29June-31Dec (First time entered to the US) 2005 : F-1 1Jan-5 June, OPT 6 June-Dec (in the US all year) 2006 : OPT 1Jan-5 Jun, H-1B 11 Oct- 31Dec (total substantial present test in 2006 is 76 days) 2007 : H-1B all year (out of the US 30 days during 2007) ...

File W-7 form without tax return and why to file as a resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA in August 2004 on F1 Visa. I graduated and change status to H1b visa from October 2007. Now, I got married and my hasband came to USA on January 2008 on H4 visa. I have my brothers whom I can claim as they have green card and not earning anything. I will have to wait till May 2008...

F1 5 years - OPT-H1, joint return but my wife has 1042S, I have 1042S from stock too! [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! My case is a little complicated. I started my F-1 from Aug, 2001. Since Oct 2005, I started to use OPT and got my H-1 at Oct 1, 2006. My wife started her F-1 from Aug 2003, and has not change since then. For 2005, I still filed non-resident alien. 1) I assume I can do joint...

View more questions Search