Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zikmorf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 02:23 AM
    Goldfish with a cut
    Hey, I'm new here. Okay, I have a 15 gallon tank with 2 goldfish in (biggest one, about 5-6 inches long, is the one with the problem). It must've happened last night as I don't recall seeing it yesterday. But I noticed not long ago what looked like 2 white bumps with red on them, one on his top lip and on just above it. On closer inspection as he swam about, what I thought was a white bump was skin flapping about (only a little bit of skin) and it defintately looks like a cut and the blood looks quite fresh as in it probably didn't happen long ago. My question is, is there anything I should do? I did a partial water change, treated the water with TetraAqua EasyBalance and TertraAqua AquaSafe, and put some salt into the fresh water before adding it to the tank just in case, but that was before I realised it was a cut.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 02:43 AM
    It may be a fungus. Does the white part look cottony if it does you need to put something in the tank for fungus. I would not change the water anymore as it will stress the fish. It would not hurt to add some stress coat to the water at this point.

May 28, 2008, 02:49 AM
    No it doesn't look cottony, although the 6 years I've had the biggest fish, this is the first problem that's occurred, so I really don't know what to look for. But I'm getting some stuff for the fungus and some for parasites as both my fish have a thing of smashing into the gravel. But again, I can't see anything that looks like a parasite no matter how small they are. But I can't get the treatment until 4 days anyway so I'll have to wait and see if it improves. Thanks for the quick answer.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 02:54 AM
    Please don't put too much into the tank it will stress them out. You should ask the fish store what it could possibly be and treat it accordingly. You are correct to wait as time may be the only thing that will heal him.

May 28, 2008, 03:16 AM
    Yeah, I will ask. Time is probably the best way to tell. Thanks for your help.
    MEDIstaff4u Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 01:10 AM
    If it is just a cut, then you probably have to let that heal on its own. Try to remove anything that could cause further injury.

Gold fish are hardy and can live in the worst environments, dirty ponds, freezing cold water, etc. If it is something minor, then he will probably be OK with a little scarring.

If it is fungus, you need to buy special treatments for those situations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

I have two new goldfish just put into a fish bowl yesterday and now today the water is cloudy. What should I do?

My goldfish [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new tank with 4 goldfish I want to know if I can put the cycle nutrafin in the water while the fish are in the tank and can someone please tell me if goldfish need oxygen meaning if the do what can I buy to help them get it I have a filter but what else do I need ?

My goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

Lately my goldfish have been swimming around the top a lot. :confused: They will go a little above the water and come back down.:confused: They will go near the bubbles and come back down. Sometimes they will go all the way down. But most of the time they are swimming around the top. Why are they...

Goldfish Help [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a goldfish for 6 years and she has survived a lot of sickness! I live in a small apartment and am currently having some remodeling work done. Since the work has begun, my goldfish tank has become very cloudy and I believe it is from the incredible dust being caused by the construction....

Goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

I have a goldfish in my water garden and it's forever upside down. It swims for a little while the correct way then it's either facing down with it's tail up or upside down. Should I be worried about this.

View more questions Search