Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    student007 Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Mar 2, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Cost of an asset
    I bought an asset worth $500 from a dealer for $469. How would I record this on my balance sheet? Under Canadian GAAP would there be an argument for both recording methods (i.e. record asset cost as $500 or $469)>

Also, let's say receivables are very slow for me. I have no estimates with which to determine the payability of these receivables. What would be the most reasonable action on my part? Record Bad Debt Expense, or wait and delay the expense recording?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2006, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by student007
    I bought an asset worth $500 from a dealer for $469. How would I record this on my balance sheet? Under Canadian GAAP would there be an argument for both recording methods (i.e. record asset cost as $500 or $469)>
    You would record it @ $469

According to Canadian GAAP, you must record it at historical cost or lower.

Examples. Investments. Originally 100K. If it goes down to 95K, you recognize the 5K loss. If it goes up to 110K, you recognize ONLY a 5K gain.

Inventory – lower of Cost or market. (therefore, the max it will be is cost)

Quote Originally Posted by student007
    Also, let's say receivables are very slow for me. I have no estimates with which to determine the payability of these receivables. What would be the most reasonable action on my part? record Bad Debt Expense, or wait and delay the expense recording?
    Since you have no company historical data to use, then use your industry’s data.

What do other companies in your industry record (3%)? If you think that some will be uncollectible, then record bad debt expense now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prepaid insurance an asset? [ 8 Answers ]

According the GAAP (the 3 asset criteria), how can I justify that Prepaid insurance is an asset? (i.e. I know that costs are known and that it will provide future benefit for the company, but is this future benefit measurable)?

Asset Protection [ 2 Answers ]

I am probably going to be sued in the near future because of an auto accident which was my fault. I had no insurance and it was a rental car. Is there any way to protect my assets? I have a savings account but it is for my retirement...

Je for disposing of asset [ 3 Answers ]

How do you record the disposal of an asset when it has been partly depreciated and you didn't get anything for the asset. EX. Furniture cost 8000 Accum Deprec 5000 :confused:

Trade In Of An Asset [ 1 Answers ]

On December 1, 2005, Cutting Edge Traded An Old Piece Of Equipment For A Newer Model. The Following Information Pertains To This Transaction: Old Machine: Original Cost 18,000 Accumulated Depreciation As Of 12/1/05 13,500 ...

Opportunity cost vs relevant cost [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused between the two costs, opportunity cost and relevant cost. What's the relation between them and difference from each ? Can someone help to explain it? Thx.

View more questions Search