Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sarahm1006 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Outside A/C unit makes high pitch noise when turned on
    I am a builder. I have a homeowner who has 3 Trane A/C units. It took a while to distinguish which unit was squeeling. But we now know that when the second floor unit comes on the A/C compressor on the outside make a loud squeeling noice that wakes the homeowner at night. It makes the noise for 30 seconds or less. My sub that installed the units is having a hard time figuring out the problem - mainly because the noise does not last very long. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    :confused:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 27, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Are you sure it is the compressor and not the fan motor/blade assembly?

Usually when a compressor makes that kind of noise it indicates.
    Compressor starving for oil on start up
    Wrong flow rater/piston for evaporator or TXV wrong size/out of adjustment.
    Incorrect refrigerant charge.
    Bent of kinked refrigerant lines.
    Contact the manufacturer. They may have run into this before.

May 27, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Could be what you say - may not be compressor. All I can say is it comes from the outside A/C unit for 2nd floor. The A/C works great - good cooling - no other noises. If that outside unit was on the other side of the house it would not be an issue.:D
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 27, 2008, 12:56 PM
    2nd floor?? Did you use oil traps if necessary? Usually the oil will come back to the compressor from a elevated evaporator but no always.

May 27, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Thanks for the advice - I will check w/my HVAC contractors. They will be out there on Thursday to try and investigate it again.:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Washer Elite Model #110.22952102 Making High Pitch noise during drain. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite model #110.22952102. It just started making an awful high pitched noise during the first drain. I'm afraid to finish the cycle.:( Can anyone help me please! Thank you, Tammy

High Pitch Noise From My GE Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My GE dryer makes a high pitch noise while drying. What can I do to stop the noise?

High pitch noise from pipes [ 4 Answers ]

When I turn on the hot water I have a high pitch noise coming through the pipes. Is this a pressure build up. I just replaced a washer in the basement. Thanks

High pitch noise from tub faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Lately my wife and I have noticed that when you tun of the faucet to our tub a high pitch noise seems to be coming from knob. If you only turn on the water a little bit this is when you hear the noise. Once its opened about 3/4 of the way the noise stops. Any ideas on what causes this?

Shower making high pitch whistling noise [ 4 Answers ]

My shower makes a high pitched whistling noise. This doesn't happen all of the time, and seems to be more pronounced when changing the temperature from hot to cold. It may come and go, or may make the noise during the duration of the shower. Any thoughts on what could cause this? Any help would...

View more questions Search