Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lissy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 08:52 AM
    a/c only runs for an hour
    Hi, about 3 days ago my a/c unit inside started to pour out water. I bought a wet dry vac and unclogged the pipes, and changed the filter. Now, it will work fine for about an hour, then it starts to struggle. The inside unit tries to run but it does not kick in only makes whispering noise and starts to get cold. The outside unit only makes like a starching type of noise. I also noticed when I walk by my fuse box I hear a buzzing noise. So I turned the unit off. The fan works fine, there is no ice, and it cools fine for about an hour. It cycles about every 10 minutes. The outside compressor is 2 yrs old, the inside about 9. I had the freon checked last August. And the coils inside looked fine.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2006, 12:23 PM
    I don't like that buzzing in the fuse box. Fuses or breakers? If you really have fuses, I would change the ones for the A/C. More likely breakers and the one for the A/C may be bad. This is very close to the point of calling a professional. I think most HVAC techs could change a breaker, and would do a better job finding another problem. You might tell a HVAC contractor you think the problem may be the breaker and see if he says call an electrician instead. It is bad enough to have to call a professional, but if you do, you want the right one.

Mar 2, 2006, 12:27 PM
    The buzzing only happens after about an hour, it's not constant. Do you think that could be the prolem?
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2006, 02:52 PM
    OK things work fine for a while, and then don't, and the buzzing starts? I think the breaker is going bad. You could post the question in Electrical and Lighting, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electrical-and-lighting/ where tkrussel would answer. I know his answer will be shut it off until you can have a qualified person check it. I have a lot of respect for him.

Mar 2, 2006, 05:21 PM
    Could it be my thermostat? I replaced it myself 1 1/2 yr ago. Could I haved wired wrong? I'm just wondering cause I read something about that. Only cause it works fine sometimes and not others, and the comppressor is new. Any thoughts please.:confused:
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2006, 05:29 PM
    The buzzing in the fuse box is a problem. Unlikely to be caused by the thermostat.

I guess if a wire worked loose at the thermostat, it could result in the unit turning on and off, or even the thermostat could be bad. Next time it quits, pull the thermostat off the wall and connect the red and yellow wires together. If the unit comes on, the thermostat is the problem.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2006, 06:58 PM
    Please listen to labman, he is absolutely correct, this is serious. Shut if off if possible.

Any buzzing from an electrical box needs immediate attention by a professional.

Buzzing is most likely from a loose connection, and these always create a large amount of heat.

This melts the insulators in the panel and eventually fails with no power, or can short out, and are the main cause of electrical fires.

Mar 2, 2006, 07:42 PM
    I turned the breaker off, my uncle suggested I turn it on again I guess to reset it. It's been working fine for two hours now, no noise at all. I was informed by a neighbor there was a power outage yesterday.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2006, 03:06 AM
    You are not listening. If the breaker was on it did not need to be reset.
    Your situation will get worse, just give it time.

Mar 3, 2006, 05:38 AM
    I am listening, however I am being told by my very opinionated uncle that is fine now and it can't be the fuse box cause my home is only 10 yrs old, and the niose only happened once. It's been working fine since yesterday. Should I call an electrician anyway?
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2006, 06:49 AM
    I would watch things very carefully, and at the first sign of trouble especially the buzzing, call a repair man.

Mar 3, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Should I worry about it if it doesn't happen again?
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2006, 12:35 PM
    If you feel the whole thing could have been a aberration in connection to the power outage, I would just watch it. Power outages are very hard on electrical equipment. This is especially true where the power goes on and off a couple of times before staying off. It is very difficult on refrigeration equipment to start up in mid cycle. I often unplug my refrigerator and freezer and shut the A/C in an outage to spare them the bouncing on and off at start up and low voltage as everything starts up. The when the power comes on and stays on for a few minutes, I restart stuff at full voltage.

Mar 3, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Ok That Makes Me Feel Better Thank You.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many hour should we sleep in a day ? [ 26 Answers ]

Hi all, In your opinion, how many hour should we sleep in a day ? How many is best for our brain and our body ? Cheers Ly Hoang Hai

Murray runs 1/2 hour then shuts off [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a used 19' murry lawn mower, the first time I used it it ran for about 1/2 an hour and shuts off, I found if I turn it on its side and push the primer button, it will run a few more minutes but then again shuts off. Can somebody help me.:confused:engine type=briggs and stratton, hp=4...

Inside fan runs, outside fan runs, but air is not cold [ 8 Answers ]

The inside fan runs and runs, the outside fan on the compressor runs and runs, but only hot air comes out. I sprayed the outside compressor coils with the garden hose to clean them and checked the inside filter. Is there something else I could check? Thanks

Thermostat Cycles Per Hour [ 3 Answers ]

I have a multi-zone (5) HWBB heating system attached to programmable thermostats. The thermostat has a "cycles per hour" setting. What does this do, and what should I set it to? It's currently set to "3" on all thermostats.

3-hour diet [ 2 Answers ]

Has anybody heard of 3- Hour Diet program by jorger cruise?? I just want to know is it effective?? If anybody doing this diet please reply me ~

View more questions Search