Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joshar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Statue of limitations for Ontario
    In the case of having no contact or answering letters or phone calls for over 30 months, Do the collection agencies have any right to collect or bother you with the section 4 of the statue act of 2002. Already in force in 2004.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 12:43 PM
    First, you do have a contract with the collection agency (most likely).

For example, you owe money on a credit card. You have a contract with the credit card company. The credit card company sells the debt to the collection agency.

Therefore, you now have the same contract with the collection agency as you did with the credit card company. So the same rules/terms of the original contract apply.

The SOL starts from the time of the original contract.

So this debt went into default after Jan 1, 2004? And it has been 30 months since such time? If that is the case, then the 2 year SOL has run out. Simply answer the phone, and tell them the SOL has run out and to stop bothering you. If they continue to harass you, the Ontario government has a complaint form you can file with them about collection agencies abusing their power.
    magickbear Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 09:42 AM
    How does the SOL work with a debt that keeps accruing interest like the 407 ETR. Can it be in collections and still with the 407 at the same time? What if the debt goes to a new colletion agency. Can they repost it on my bureau report if the original expired. (New amount because of interest)
    Thanks very much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection call (statue of limitation) (Ontario Canada) [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Southern Ontario Canada and have the following situation : I have received a collection call about an account closed due to a consumer proposal 4 years ago and they claim my wife's name was on the account for which I don't have any recollection nor papers to show that. In the mean...

Statue of limitation,ontario canada [ 2 Answers ]

If the new law went into effect on Jan 1, 2004 does the time lapse start from the last point of contact or last payment, even if the payment was 17 mthspast the maturaty date of the loan

What is the statue of limitations in Ontario, Canada in all areas? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations in Ontario?

Statue of limitation credit card debt in ontario [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has an outstanding credit card debt from the late '90's. She received a letter from a lawyer threating her with court action. She is on a disability pension. Can she be sued/garnisheed or is this a scare tactic from a collection agency? Tks for your input

Statue of limitations in Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone could help. I have been served with small claims papers with regards to my previous post on a debt that has been invoiced in Feb/05. I understand that that they can't proceed with legal proceedings after 2 years and it has been that now. I was hoping that...

View more questions Search