Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starsirius Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 08:51 AM
    120 volts, connect 1 swith to control 3 lights
    I ran power to the switch, and made the correct connections at the first light, and its bright. However the 2d and third light are dim. Please help.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 10:55 AM
    My first guess is that you wired the second and third lights in series instead of parallel. (The images are for DC circuits, but the concept is the same.

What happens is that the first light gets 120 volts, but the second and third lights only get 60 volts apiece--and therefore are dim.

Double-check your wiring on the lights. White wires go together, black wires go together. In the switch box, the white wires do not even go through the switch at all--they are just tied together. The hot black wire and the black wire from the first light will each go to one (different) screw on the switch.

I hope this clears it up.
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harbor Breeze Remote - Control Fan, but NOT lights [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a house with a harbor breeze fan with an LCD remote. It's worked fine for quite a while. Recently, though - the remote stopped working for the lights. However, it still works fine for the fan. I've replaced all the bulbs and have manually proved that all the lights work. ...

One switch control multiple lights [ 1 Answers ]

To connect wiring,to use one switch on multiple lights.

HVAC Pressure Swith or Limit Control [ 2 Answers ]

My furnace will not light due to an open pressure swith or limit control switch. How do I check this switch and remedy the problem.

How do you connect a hampton bay wall remote control [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to connect a ceiling fan wall remote, I have the old cloth wires and my remote connecters say not to connect the white neutral wire, the only wires I have are the two that are connected to the wall switch. Because they are covered in cloth they look the same.

Ceiling fan w/lights & remote control [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a sun room that will have a ceiling fan with lights. I want to turn the lights on and off from 3 different locations (4-way switching). I also want to control the lights from a remote control. Does anyone offer a remote that will control the fan speeds, light dimming and also...

View more questions Search