Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robertchang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 05:23 AM
    Can lender put a lien on a property if I am not on the deed?
    I have a property (house) that I am on the mortgage but not on the deed.
    I have 2 other investment properties that might go into foreclosure.
    Can the lender put a lien on the (house) after foreclosure if I am not on the deed?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 27, 2008, 05:52 AM
    If you are not on the deed, you have no ownership interest in the property so they cannot file a lien against it.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

May 27, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robertchang
    I have a property (house) that I am on the mortgage but not on the deed.
    I have 2 other investment properties that might go into foreclosure.
    Can the lender put a lien on the (house) after foreclosure if I am not on the deed?
    Robert,

I'm not sure I understand why you would have a financial liability for the house, but not have a equitable interest in the asset. As far as I can tell, the scale is tipped greatly, but not in your favor... If you are on the mortgage, you are still hurting your credit if the lender is reporting adverse actions like late payments.

You said properties that MIGHT go into foreclosure and are worried about a lien from this foreclosure. Have you talked to anyone about a short sale? Is there any equity in any of the properties?

I'm just throwing some ideas out, as a foreclosure can have devastating effects on your credit for years to come, whereas a short sale, if possible, can often be negotiated to have far less serious effects.

I wish you luck!

LG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a Lender to refinance Contract For Deed [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I purchased a property that was in a distressed situation one year ago from 8/31/07. In order for us to secure the property we decided to enter into a contract for deed. The contract for Deed was filed at the courthouse to show vested interest for one year on the property. My wife...

Property in Florida, about to foreclose! And I got sued by the lender [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: back in 2006 when the Real Estate market was booming, I purchased a home in Port Charlotte FLORIDA. They had put me on a construction loan, on July of 2007 the house got completed and they convereted my loan in to a regular loan. Recently I was not able to pay the mortgage and I never...

How do I give my property back to the lender [ 1 Answers ]

How do I give my property back to the lender

Property lien with consent of property owner [ 4 Answers ]

May I put a lien on property, with the owners cooperation and what forms, process do I need? The lien would be to secure repayment of a loan to the property owner.

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

View more questions Search