Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tom Brundidge Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 09:27 PM
    Do I have a claim to my bio-fathers estate?
    I am age 60. I live in CA. I have a half brother who also lives in CA, we share the same Bio. Father but not the same mother. I found out about my half brother about ten years ago when our father past away. I never knew our father as he and my mother divorced at my age 5. Our father never called or visited after the divorce. He never provided any financial support to my mother or I. My mother struggled to support both of us. I never made tried to make claim any inherence at our father's passing. I felt sorry for my his widow, and half brother. They may have suffer more with our abusive father than my mother and I. However just recently my half brother's mother past away and he inherited a very large estate from his mother. I of course got nothing with either passing. I was the first born male to our father. Our grand father, our father and I all carry the same name except I am the third. I seems to me that I should have some right to share in this estate? What do you think?
    mooviequeen13 Posts: 13, Reputation: 4

May 27, 2008, 12:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brundidge
    I am age 60. I live in CA. I have a half brother who also lives in CA, we share the same Bio. father but not the same mother. I found out about my half brother about ten years ago when our father past away. I never knew our father as he and my mother divorced at my age 5. Our father never called or visited after the divorce. He never provided any financial support to my mother or I. My mother struggled to support both of us. I never made tried to make claim any inherence at our father's passing. I felt sorry for my his widow, and half brother. They may have suffer more with our abusive father than my mother and I. However just recently my half brother's mother past away and he inherited a very large estate from his mother. I of course got nothing with either passing. I was the first born male to our father. Our grand father, our father and I all carry the same name except I am the third. I seems to me that I should have some right to share in this estate? What do you think?
    You do have a claim on your bio father's estate. My question 2 you would be... Why? Are there family mementos you'd like or is this a sense of revenge on what he never gave you before. Have you talked with your brother about this. Told him how muched you missed being in his and your fathers life. Maybe he would be okay with sharing. You should check with that state and find out if there is a statute of limitation on making this claim legally. Ask yourself first, then your brother, then a lawyer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2008, 05:21 AM
    It sounds like his wife got everything at the fathers death, and your 1/2 brother only got something at the death of his mother,
    If this is the case, you have no claim to his mothers estate. And actually after an estate has been settled for nearly 10 years, and then that estate was already cleared though a 2nd estate. I really doubt there is any claim to do, but a visit to a probate attorney can help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 27, 2008, 05:57 AM
    I agree with Chuck. The time to make a claim against your father's estate was before the estate was settled. Once it was settled, then your window of opportunity closed. You definitely cannot make a claim against his widow's estate since you have no relation to her. The source of her estate doesn't matter.

May 28, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Scott, and Chuck - I suspect both of you are correct. Mooviequeen - Why? I have mixed feeling about this whole thing. My feelings about myself and my Father have changed over the years from not understanding why he wasn't around, or even called, (only got one side, my mothers) to hating a man that hurt me and my mother, that changed the course of my life from what I see now would have been " fairly normal" to one of poverty, dependency, self doubt, etc. Feeling like victim and feeling sorry for myself was the best thing he left me. Fortunately those feeling were a driving force in my life. I was able to over come those feelings in my early adulthood and have been relatively successful based on my own hard work. For 30 years or so I actually felt some what fortunate that he left. You never know, things could have ben worst. Those feelings and resolution now look like self dilution, helping me to deal with drawing the short straw. I now feel like I am getting screwed again. Thank you to each one of you for your in put. I am always amazed with people like you. You take your time to reach out to perfect stranger on line. Thanks Tom Brundidge
    rene2008 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Tom I'm not sure what will come out of your situation. I don't think it was anyone's business to ask you why you want too. This isn't therapy! Well I would contact a lawyer like they said but I believe he has to disinherit you on the will if he did one.

You got the bigger gift of him being gone but he is your only "father" so you have a right to want the money. Google last will contest.

May 29, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2008
    Tom I'm not sure what will come out of your situation. I don't think it was anyones business to ask you why you want too. This isn't therapy! Well I would contact a lawyer like they said but I believe he has to disinherit you on the will if he did one.

You got the bigger gift of him being gone but he is your only "father" so you have a right to want the money. Google last will contest.
    You have a point that, since this is the Family Law area our answers should deal primarlily with the law. However, it would help if you had your law correct. A child doesn't have to be tacitly disinherited. There are many ways to write a will to leave someone out of it. In addition, the OP talks about the inheritance his half brother received from his mother not his father. So when his father died the estate went to his widow, who is no relation to him. E has no claim on her estate. He might have had a claim on his father's estate had he made the claim when the father died. But that ship has sailed.

Yes the OP should consult an attorney, but I doubt any reputable attorney would take the case.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2008, 05:55 PM
    I mean there are all sorts of if's, first if in that state, the children did not receive anything but the widow got it all, there was nothing to get to start with,
    If the will gave some to the one brother but did not name him at all, yes the will could have been contested, and it is possible that the estate may be frozen pending an appeal of the original probate of the father, but it will be based on the SOL on filing claims against the probate, normally there is official notice and legal notice,

I mean they may give a little bit ( very little) to make it just go away, but it may be worth a few 100 dollars for a attorney to review all of the details.

Jul 13, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Hi - I have been out of town for the last two weeks. I just want thank all of you for taking your time to help me with my question. I want you to know that I did talk to an attorney via e-mails and he wasn't very hopeful for same reasons most of you gave me. :( My father died 10 years ago and that was the time to deal with the issue. Unfortunately I didn't feel then the way I feel now. At that time I felt sorry for his widow who showed all the signs of a woman who had been mentally beaten down by my father and lucky that that my father hadn't stuck around. Perhaps I can help someone via this web site. I have built, owned and operated a large insurance agency over the last 34 years. I think I know something about the subject. I would like to make myself available to answer insurance questions, but I am not sure what it takes to be apart of the group? Tom Brundidge

Jul 13, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brundidge
    Perhaps I can help someone via this web site. I have built, owned and operated a large insurance agency over the last 34 years. I think I know something about the subject. I would like to make myself available to answer insurance questions, but I am not sure what it takes to be apart of the group? Tom Brundidge
    Just look for questions you can answer and post a reply. You will generally find insurance questions in the Law and Money forums.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 06:44 PM
    All it takes is just what your already doing. Taking a few minutes of your own time to read and respond. We all appreciate it.. thanks for telling us the rest of the story.

Jul 15, 2008, 07:28 AM
    I have completed my registration and interests and I will see what comes of it. Thanks, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quick Claim Deed on Real Estate [ 4 Answers ]

In order to get a quick claim deed on my deseased husbands estate does the entire family have to be present at signing.

Quit claim deed / settling estate [ 1 Answers ]

I don't even know where to start so I will explain from the beginning. About 13 years ago , I was in a bad marital situation and needed a place to live , so I purchased a house and financed it in my parents name for various reasons. Very shortly after that my mother became very ill with cancer and...

Claim on a step parent's estate [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone out there with experience in estate law could help me. Let me give a little background. My mother's birth father abandoned her before she was born. She was raised since the age of 1 by the person I consider my grandfather. Because her natural father refused to sign away...

Real Estate - quit claim deed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! I was given a quit claim deed on my grandfather's house several years ago. It was filed at the court house. Recently, I attempted to take out an equity loan to build a garage. The lender said that the house belonged to my parents. I went to the court house to see where the problem...

Do I have any claim to grandmothers estate [ 6 Answers ]

My father died in January, 5 or 6 months prior to his death he received his part of his mothers' (my Grandmother) estate. His mother was never told he was dying, my grandfather died of the same thing as dad and we didn't think Grandma's health could take the blow. Since dad left his estate to his...

View more questions Search