Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TravisHar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Journalizing prepaid rent for present and next month
    Dec. 1. Company pays for December 2008 and January 2009 rent. How do I journalize this transaction? Do I use rent expense for December and prepaid rent for January?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 02:33 AM
    Let us assume Rent is $100 a month.

On Dec. 1, the JE is
    Dr. Prepaid Rent 200
    Cr. Cash 200

This JE is made because you have prepaid 2 months rent, for the MONTH of Dec and Jan.

Now, on Dec. 31, one of the two months have been used up. Therefore the JE would be:
    Dr. Rent Expense 100
    Cr. Prepaid Rent 100

Now, on Jan. 31, the second month is used up, so the JE would be:
    Dr. Rent Expense 100
    Cr. Prepaid Rent 100

You will also note that after Jan. 31, the balance in the Prepaid Rent account is 0, as you have used it all up, and its all been put into Rent Expense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is prepaid rent income? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Through out college, I understood that prepaid rent is a liability for an accrual-basis taxpayers and income for cash-basis taxpayers. However, in a CPA course review, it states that "Prepaid rent is income when received even for an accrual-basis taxpayer". Please clarify. Thanks,...

Prepaid Rent and Unearned Rent [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between Prepaid rent & unearned rent? Is this the same. And if in the Trial balance the account name is Unearned rent, then can we put in the liabilities side as Prepaid rent?

Landlord will not return prepaid rent in CA [ 1 Answers ]

I relocated to CA and signed a lease from out-of-state. The lease ran six-months and then automatically converted to month-to-month. On Feb 7, my landlord gave notice that rent would increase effective Mar 7. We elected to move out and gave notice (the only condition the lease specified for...

Thread for CaptainForest re Prepaid Rent [ 1 Answers ]

You're clearly the most learned and/or the most helpful poster on these boards... I became a member to ask you this simple question regarding adjustments: Company X has rented its showroom and office space from Z at 7,000 per month for the last 3 years. The rent for January, 2007, was paid in...

View more questions Search