Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    selfimprovements Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 08:13 PM
    Little help please!! Criminal damage case
    If criminal damage to property occurs to a vehicle driven by a man whose wife holds title and registration to the vehicle and someone is indicted for damaging the property of the man, even though he has no title or legal claim to the vehicle is named solely in the indictment as the property owner, is the indictment irreparably flawed and legally demanding of acquittal since the title lists someone other than the person listed in the indictment?
    Sosdog Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Mar 4, 2006, 05:41 PM
    If the car is held by his legal wife then all shared property rules apply and he will be listed as owner if he was operating the vehicle.

Sos
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Ok, first please describe what type of criminal damage you are speaking of.
    The charge differs from state to state and is not even a charge in some states.

But if a person did damge to someone's car depending on the amount of damage would decide the level of the charge.

If the police report did not list the owner properly ( perhaps the driver said that he was the owner) In community property states then he would be consdered by default nomally as having interest in the property.

But the court could do several things, allow the DA to merely add the wife as owner and victim, or merely refile with the new information.
    It will not make the entire case go away, merely cause for either a new charge or an amendment to the indictment.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2006, 07:10 PM
    Your post is a little hard to follow. However, as I understand it, damage was done to a car but the wrong person was listed in the indictment as the owner. Furthermore, the owner of the car in question was the wife of the person mistakenly identified as the owner in the indictment. If this is correct, then from a criminal law standpoint it shouldn't make much difference who the owner is or who is believed to be the owner; the fact is that the property was damaged and the person responsible, if convicted, is criminally liable. Especially if the actual owner is the spouse of the alleged owner as any court would consider a spouse to have a legitimate interest in the property in question and would be equally entitled to justice as the actual owner. I'm presuming in all of this that the husband and wife live together and the damage to the car in question didn't result from a dispute over the distribution of property due to a divorce or separation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Criminal History [ 7 Answers ]

I have been told that after a 10 year period - a person does not have to disclose their criminal history on employment applications. Can anyone confirm this statement.

Chapter 7 discharge in criminal case [ 4 Answers ]

Is chapter 7 bankruptcy dischargable under criminal restitution cases involvind a minor with parents involed Is that dichargable under chapter 7 when parents are involed under what son did

Can Petitions Help in a criminal case? [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could tell me If a petition or a group of signatures and putting in a good word for someone that is being tried for an internet crime would be of good use to a client and could be used by his lawyer. Can petitions be good for someone being convicted of any crime,...

Criminal background 12 yrs.ago... [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting ready to go back to school in the medical field; I'm offered job placements through where I graduated .Do I have to worry about possibility of rejection because of a past record-over 10yrs.ago?! I've been told it shouldn't be that big of a deal... but,I have concerns because school...

Little help please - criminal damage to property [ 8 Answers ]

If criminal damage to property occurs to a vehicle driven by a man whose wife holds title and registration to the vehicle and someone is indicted for damaging the property of the man, even though he has no title or legal claim to the vehicle is named solely in the indictment as the property owner,...

View more questions Search