Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retiredRobb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 05:53 PM
    How do I make a lacquer finish tougher?
    I just bought a new kitchen table with a satin lacquer finish. The list of "don'ts" that came with it is long and ridiculous for a family with kids. What can I do (other than cover it) to make it stand up to day to day use (i.e. resist scratching, water marks, etc.)?
    Thanks for any help.
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

May 26, 2008, 08:28 PM
    I can't remember the name of it, but there is a forum out there for wood turners and a lot of them make bowls you can eat out of. They are very handy with different finishes, since eating out it will cause a lot of wear and tear. I wish I could remember the name of the forum but I am sure you can search Google and find one.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 26, 2008, 11:25 PM
    There is a cover that you may have not thought about, because it would not "cover" the view of the table. You can have a 1/4" piece of glass made for the table with clear spacers that suspend the glass over the table.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 03:05 AM
    A glass cover would certainly be an option and an excellent idea! Other than that, with kids, you are going to need to keep the surface area covered in some way. Pads, doilies, table cloths, place mats, etc. would be options.

If you don't really want to keep the surface area covered in some way, then every once in a while you could do what I call a rejuvenation finishing. And that would be to lightly sand, in the direction of the grain, the surface area of the table and then spray with a low-solids lacquer such as Deft and then rub-out with #0000 steel wool and a paste wax to rejuvenate the finish.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Clough might be able to say if this is correct or not, but I have used Polyurethene finish on lots of wood surfaces to give a more durable surface. It is available in several types of finishes such as high gloss, satin I believe and such as that. I give the surface several coats, letting them dry thoroughly between coats. With it being a new table you may want to chose another path to take.

I use Polycrylic over painted surfaces using water base paints such as acrylics or house paint, but over oil based stains and finishes, I use the Polyurethene.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son will finish AU with 3 majors [ 1 Answers ]

:D My son is 27 years old and will graduate Anderson University in Anderson Indiana next summer. His majors are computer science, physic, and math. He worked with my son-in-law in Houston, TX for five years prior to starting school doing environmental work air, soil and water (testing, injecting,...

Hardwood Finish [ 5 Answers ]

New floors are sanded and two coats of Oil-Modified Polyurethane (satin) applied. I've run out of Polyurethane for my final coat. Unable to find the same Brand Name product locally, will any quality oil base polyurethane work for my finish coat? Lowe's / Menard's sells a Minwax product for...

Re finish Coria top [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a simple way to re finish coria counter tops

It's not where you start, it's where you finish and I'm going to finish on top. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone help me find the name of the song and lyrics to the song that has the line... "It's not where you start, it's where you finish and I'm going to finish on top." It came from a show, possibly Barnum? Thanks David

Can't Finish [ 11 Answers ]

For a while my boyfriend has had trouble finishing, he says he just feels no sensation while we are having sex. The oether day when we were having sex he had trouble finishing again but he managed too. We just want to know if there are anyway to enhance the sensation or what can be done.

View more questions Search