Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichaelMeanie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 07:20 PM
    Maybe bankruptcy
    Mom died in 2000, brother was taking care of her, he and I became joint owners of the house. He had been living in the house with her, continued to live there. He asked me to co-sign on a mortgage, to pay his debts and some of hers. I agreed (foolish of me). The house was assessed at $80,000; the mortgage was for $42,000. He paid about $3,000 total on the mortgage, most of which went for interest, then he defaulted. We found out about the default in January 2005, spent too much money on credit card for paint, paint brushes, etc, trying to fix it up so it would sell. We finally got an offer in October, but buyer had financing trouble; finally all approved and then we find out real estate agent neglected to get up-to-date payoff figure - the amount offered, which we had agreed on, was $4,000 short. We didn't have $4,000 to give the bank, to make the deal go through. House is now in foreclosure; we were planning to use about $10,000 of the proceeds to pay off our credit card, and the rest toward our own dream house. We now have about $4,800 going out every month, and $3,000 coming in. :eek: Due to depressed real estate market, the house we're living in now, which we're thinking of selling, is not likely to sell for what we owe on it. Considered suing real estate agent, lawyer said no, but we could sue my brother - but this is not practical, due to his finances and job history, we'd be lucky to get a dime out of him. Is bankruptcy a good idea?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2006, 07:36 PM
    Ok, you owe 42K or so on a house and it is valued at 80K and you could not get an offer for enough to pay the loan.

Ok, if you can't save that house wait till the foreclosure is over and see how much is left. ( unless you want to file bankruptcy to delay foreclosure and try to keep selling the house)

But if you just want to get rid of debts let it go into foreclosure and see how much is owed on it after it is sold. You and your brother may only owe 9000 or so or maybe nothing ( OK most likely something)
    If you don't owe too much after it is all done, you merely make payment arrangements on the debt or decide to file bankruptcy.

if you file, it will not stop your brother from stlll owing the money, it only stops you from owing.

Next how about renting the house out and bringing in money,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

I filed bankruptcy. I listed all creditors. The trustee had a meeting of creditors. My X- husband showed up contesting my having him on the list of creditors (it was not for spousal support, but some common bills) The Trustee threw him out as he was not very polite. My Bankruptcy was granted...

Bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I was recently contacted by a collection agency regarding a debt owed to a school. To clarify, this was not a student loan. My bankrupcty was discharged on August 30th 2005. She stated that it was in their file as being discharged on this date. However, she still insisted on...

Bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the difference is now that the bankruptcy laws have changed? What exactly has changed that would prevent a person from getting a say... Chapter 7 now as compared to before the law changed. This would be for the state of PA. Thanks for any help.

Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

Can a person file bankruptcy from jail? Can they file on their own(Pro Se)? What county to file in--/the county of imprisonment or where the debts were incurred? Are fines, costs, and restitution dischargable? If someone had power of attorney for the one filing from prison, if possible, could...

Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering after a person files chapter 7 bankruptcy even though its on your credit for a very long time, what's the average on being able to obtain loans from banks or other sources?

View more questions Search