Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    koates Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 06:41 PM
    Adding heating/ac to the garage
    I would like to add AC and possibly heat to my garage so that I can work there. There seems to be two choices: (1) add a portable unit, or (2) extend the duct system from my house. I still need to be able to open and close the garage door so the garage is not energy efficient. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am assuming that my HVAC system can accommodate the additional 400 square feet (depending on the answers I receive I will investigate that further). If I add a portable unit, can I keep a car in the garage as well? I was concerned with electric arcing (is that the proper term?) and gasoline. My gas hot water heater is also in the garage so would that be a problem? If you recommend a portable system, any suggestions as to model/brand? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Unless there are some unusual obstacles, extending the existing duct work should be much cheap-er. We are talking occasional use, weekends and evenings? Would it work if you had to forgo using it in the very hottest or coldest weather? Surely your HVAC system has some reserve. Add 400 sq. ft to a 2000 sq. ft house, and you add 20% Even in weather where the system runs 40% of the time, the 20% increase would mean 48%. You would lose all the heat or cool when you opened the garage door, but if left closed while you were working, the system should recover.

As for adding a system, I hardly see how it would be much more of a hazard than the electrical equipment you may also be using. One note. Gasoline fumes are heavy. When I worked in a paint lab, all the electrical equipment was kept 42'' off the floor. A ceiling or attic mounted unit should be less of a problem.

There are gas hot water heaters specifically designed to be safe in garages. Others are now mounted up on platforms further from the floor.
    Donald K Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2006, 09:09 AM
    In our area you are not allowed to install supply vents from the main house into a garage for safety reasons. IF the car is running and the system is not the fumes from the car can drift back into the supply runs toward the air handler and into the house. Another reason not to is---your system is designed to have a certain amount of air going back through the return filters and recirculate through the supply vents. When you install vents in the garage you now are shorting the amount of return air needed for the system to operate properly. This can and will cause a negative pressure on the house and if you have a crawl space you will get air pulled in from the crawl and the attic space through any holes, cracks, crevices etc in order to make up the air shortage caused by the supply vents in the garage. The best thing would be to install a ductless mini-split for the garage----run it when you need it--should run about 1800---2400 depending on size.
    Keep the house separated from the garage---you don't want to wake up DEAD!!
    koates Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2006, 04:31 PM
    Thanks! I had talked to an HVAC person here who told me the same. I opted for a portable a/c unit, 2' off the floor (since I have an old car in the garage - it doesn't run but still has gas in it; no apparent fumes.) It's being hooked up this week.

KO

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter drove my truck into my garage door.I have allstate. They said that even though I have full coverage, That the garage door is not covered. Since it is my house and my car. I have property damage, and the work's Is this true? Do I have have to pay for the garage door?

Garage door [ 2 Answers ]

We do not have a garage door opener, but always open it by hand. Last week one side fell out of the track and I had to slacken the spring to fix it. The door is centred and is not rubbing against one side... so I'm assuming it is just the spring. Now that I put the spring back the door is very...

Detached garage pad [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to get some information on building a garage starting with the Pad. I am planning on building a 22X26 detached garage. The rough grade was completed about 4 months ago. It is a clay base with no topsoil added yet. Should I get a bobcat in to remove a couple inches or just pack down...

Prepping for a garage pad! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey fellas, getting close to starting this project and here is what I got listed so far. 1. Bobcat work, getting a contractor to come in a clear out a patch and remove the topsoil from my property. He'll go down at least 8 inches, and will keep going till he hits the hard clay. 2. I'll rent...

Wet garage floor [ 3 Answers ]

Help, this is our first winter in a new condo four unit building. It appears the garage floor is pitched toward the house and a flood of melting snow and ice are constantly at the entrance door. I can't see myself sweeping out water after every in and out with the car. Is there any products or...

View more questions Search