Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Candi2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Long Term Disability Insurance
    I have had to stop working because of a medical disability. I have a Long Term Disability Insurance policy with my employer that will start paying me 60% of my base salary after 90 days of total disability. I cannot find out if my medical insurance will stay in effect during this coverage. Also, should I sign up on my Social Security Disability Insurance. How does this work?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Social Security Disability does not just "kick" in after so many days. You have to be disabled for a certain amount of time and have a condition verified by a doctor. You can start now and file for disability but be prepared for this process to take years. Yes, you read right, years. Expect to be turned down the first time out. At that point you may retain the services of a disability attorney. He will work on a contingent basis and not receive any fee until you win your case. You can expect to be turned down a few more times even if you have an attorney on your side fighting for you.

You will have to contact the medical insurance company that you have coverage with and discuss this with them as each company has different requirements.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Some of what twinkiedooter said is correct. Do expect to get turned down the first time. It can take years or if done correctly not so many. Ssa has a backload of cases. There are only so many judges and so many people who need ssi. You should consult with a social security disability attorney straight off the bast. Like twinkie stated regarding the fees. Make sure you have all your medical records with you and have all you facts straight. Best wishes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2008, 05:50 PM
    First no your medical insurance will not just continue, medical insurance and disability insurance is separate insurance most likely from different companies. After you leave work, you will be given info on the cobra program where you can keep the coverage for a number of months if you pay the entire part of the insurance.

You will need to apply with your disability for government disability, just being disabled and receiving it from the insurance does not mean you will get it from the government, different rules And often they do deny it the first time and you will have to appeal, best bet, always use an attorney to apply for your government disability.

Also look at your state medicaid insurance for health if you are now low income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it take long term vicodin consumption to exit your system? [ 7 Answers ]

If you have been on vicodin for a long time how long does it take to get out of your system.

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Accounting for Long Term and Short Term Cap Gains [ 2 Answers ]

How do I properly account for Long Term and Short Term Capital Gains from investments (stocks and bonds)? I am unsure of which account to use and the proper treatment on the financial statements. We (the Company) have not been involved in investing much until this year. Feel free to assume I know...

Short Term Disability [ 5 Answers ]

I had neck surgery in August 2007 and will be out of work until Feb. 2008. I received five checks from the insurance company, then they called and stated they had made a mistake and I was NOT eligible for short term disability. Now they want the money back. Of course I have used the money to pay...

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why? [ 4 Answers ]

Is short-term or long-term debt more stressful to your personal finances? Why?

View more questions Search