Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

May 26, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Glazing Pottery
    Hi, Does anyone know if a chipped dish can be repainted or glazed and refired to hid/ repair the chipped place?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 26, 2008, 01:29 PM
    It can, if you know what the glaze was and what the exact material was. If it was something that you bought at the store, I wouldn't try it. If it was something that you or a friend made then I say go for it.

It will make it more fragile though, and it's more likely to explode the second time around, the whole glaze will change appearance.

Quite honestly, I would leave it the way it is, chips and such add character to ceramic pieces.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 26, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Is this a dish that is used for decorative or eating purposes? Is the chip something that has broken away cleanly? If it has, it might be possible to use some epoxy to repair it and also have it look okay, depending on how clean the break was. Just a thought...
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 26, 2008, 11:47 PM
    Also, if it IS something that you eat with, reglazing might not be the best idea. The glaze can bubble and cause the ceramic to become visible, which is porous and not sanitary for eating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Porcelan & pottery [ 3 Answers ]

I have some pottery goblets that were made in North Dakota during the 1930s & 1940s, they were a government project through North Dakota University, they also made bowls & etc & were sent to sckools,hospital Etc! The bottoms are stamped WPA. Havfe these any monetary value?

How do I find info on pottery? [ 2 Answers ]

I have what appears to me to be some sort of teapot or tea steeping pot. It is some sort of ceramic ( possibly earthenware or ironstone) and has the name "Sarosy" inscribed on the bottom. I have looked online and Google searched the name and come up with literally thousands of hits. Many of them...

Double glazing [ 1 Answers ]

How are double glazed windows manufactured?

Has anyone ever built a pottery drying cabinet? [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to make a drying cabinet for hollowed out clay sculptures so that I can fire them without waiting FOREVER for them to be bone dry from leather hard state and still not crack by drying too fast. I have a metal locker that I want to use and wire shelves. Does anyone know how hot it has to...

View more questions Search