Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Bathtub venting
    Does a bathtub/shower vent through a vent that goes all the way out of the house (eg. Straight up out of the roof), or does it use the overflow for venting? Or does the entire drain stack just have 1 vent for the tub/toilet and sink?

I ask because I have a very slow tub drain, and no matter how much I snake the drain, or use the liduid stuff, it doesn't seem to help. I am wondering at this point if the vent is not adequate. I did not install this tub myself, the builder did, and I have had problems ever since my home warranty expired (imagine that!)

Thanks

BM
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 26, 2008, 08:32 AM
    If your tub isn't vented or there's a problem with it then you will hear a gurgle sound from the trap as it vents through there. Bathtubs and showers are vented in one of two ways. 1) by running a individual vent just after the trap to revent back into the lavatory vent and then through thr roof. **or** 2) By wetventingand only using one vent for the entire bathroom group. Let me show you.
    Most bathroom groups are roughed in like this.
    Toilet connects to sewer main or the stack vent. Lavatory connects to toilet drain and runs a vent off the top the stubout tee out the roof or revents back into a dry vent in the attic.. The toilet wet vents through the lavatory vent and the tub/shower connects to the lavatory drain and is wet vented by it. This is a normal rough in and is acceptable both by local and state codes and also The Standard Plumbing Code Book in 90 percent of the country. Check your local codes.to make sure you're not in the excluded 10 percent.. The vent off the lavatory may be run out the roof or revented back into a dry vent in the attic or if you're reventing back into a fixtures dry vent you must make your connection at least 6 inches over that fixtures flood rim. Does this answer your question? Regards Tom
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 10:54 AM
    That answers my question well. There is no gurgle sound, so it must be a clog further down than I have been snaking it. I think I need a better snake that I can hook to my drill. The manual one is a pain in the you know what.

Thanks again.

BM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Venting/Drainage a new Bathtub into an existing sunk in shower [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, Basically. The sunk-in shower is obviously lower than the bath tub. And I wish to connect the new drain from the tub to the existing 2" drain from the shower. My question is: How would I go about venting (if needed) and connecting the new tub that is 4' away from the existing drain, Without,...

Adding a Bathtub/venting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a half bath upstairs and am changing it into a full bath. I have a 2" vent pipe for the lower bathroom (which was run in the wall i removed to fit the tub) which runs up through the middle of the room and back into the stack for ventilation. The upstairs sink runs 3 feet directly into the...

Bathtub Venting question [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of remodeling a basement bathroom directly next to an exterior wall. Previously there was a shower and now I want to put in a bathtub. When I took out the fiberglass shower, I found that the shower drain was connected directly to the main waste line leading out of the house. ...

Venting Thanks [ 7 Answers ]

Spent last 3 hrs reading threads, trying to answer my questions. Thank you for this site! I am working on new construction. I would like to confirm some things I think I learned on this site. Please answer T/F. If False please fix me. 1 every fixture w/trap needs vented. EX tub lav toilet...

View more questions Search