Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2006, 03:00 PM
    African American given names
    Not having grown up with African Americans (I'm in northern Canada), I'm curious as to the significance of the unique, interesting names of many African American girls and women. For example, on American Idol, there is Tinnik, Mandisa, and of course Fantasia from 2 years ago. Is this some sort of cultural tradition? I've always been curious about this so I'd be grateful if anyone could enlighten me!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2006, 06:32 PM
    Originally the names are suppose to have some meaning in one of the original African dialects. But honestly I think many today ( some I know of for sure) are just made up names the parents think are neat sounding.
    The more original the better.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2006, 02:12 PM
    Thanks Fr Chuck. I had wondered if there was some African connection to the names.
    Expert

Mar 2, 2006, 03:59 PM
    Note, my wife told me this, she is African American.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Mar 2, 2006, 05:26 PM
    That's very interesting I've often wondered the same thing.
    Expert

Mar 2, 2006, 07:12 PM
    Here is a web site that gives you a name and their meaning

http://www.swagga.com/fname.htm
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Thanks for the link, it's very interesting!
    lena2202 Posts: 3, Reputation: 4

Apr 3, 2006, 01:47 PM
    Actually Im African American , many of the reasons many AA's have rather unique names is because some of them tend to be a combination of other significant names. There is a boy I know with the name "Diontay". His mother named him after "Diane" her grandmother. "Ontavious" her uncle and "Taylor" her cousin. All of these people played a significant role in his mothers life and so that's why the name is rather unlike anyone else's.

There are so many more like:

Shadequa
    Kaylashante
    Moniqua
    Rontavious
    Shameeka

These are examples of names that are combinations of other names if you look at it closely.
    Believe me I asked my mom the same question you're asking(she chose a rather simple german name for me) and I didn't understand why certain names were so made up until a friend of mine explained it to me.

Most likely "Mandisa" is a combination of names that were significant to her parents.

However I have no explanation for African Americans who name kids after achohlic beverages and fancy cars:(

Hope it helps!
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Thanks lena! That was a really great, complete explanation, the best one yet! It sort of reminds me of my Norweigan friends, who told me that their surnames are combinations of other names, with a different surname used in each generation, which is why it is so hard for them to do any genealogy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help. African American With Bad Acne. Help [ 32 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I am a african american female with the worse acne possible. I have no idea what to do about all of this in my face. I have tried just about everything on the market and I am feeling hopeless now. At present, I am using proactiv solutions to try to clear up my face, and that seems not...

African American People [ 88 Answers ]

What are you using to lighten your skin? ... What has worked for you Chemical peels? Creams? Pills? or aLL three?

Skin lightner for African/African American/Black people? [ 46 Answers ]

Ok I am fairly new on this site and I am having a hard time figuring out what race is everyone. I am not trying to racist or anything. What works on other races doesn't work on black people and vice versa... With that being said... Hi, Im Amina. I was a mid brown color. Before going to college...

African-american musician [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a blind black musician who recorded probably during the 20s through 30s.The story is he was blinded by his mother possibly with lye,I think he was a blues singer who played a guitar.I tried goggle but I don't have a enough information. Thanks for any information...

African American History after the civil war [ 1 Answers ]

I got a couple of questions... ;D 1. What was presidential reconsturction? What policies concerning Freedmen are most associated with it? 2. What was congressional reconstruction? What are the greatest and/or enduring accomplishments of this era? 3. What were the black codes? 4. What...

View more questions Search