Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ReMmI Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 10:08 PM
    Baby doesn't like tummy time.
    My son is just 3 months old and I am trying to get him to strengthen his neck muscles by putting him on his tummy on a daily basis but he will do it for like maybe 5 minutes then he starts crying he doesn't like it at all! I don't know what to do about this...
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

May 26, 2008, 01:34 AM
    If he does not like it do not do it. None of my kids had tummy time in fact never heard of it. Have you thought it could be hurting him.
    tamed Posts: 255, Reputation: 33

May 26, 2008, 05:04 AM
    DanielNoahsmommy is right, your baby should be having tummy time little and often, so perhaps try a few toys especially ones that rattle. Also try to remember that babies can often get bored by themselves so try being in front of him and making funny faces or something. Another thing, his neck muscles will only get strongr with time so just keep at it even if it is for a few minutes a day, the older he gets the better at it he will become and if you are still worrid after a while, pay your doctor a visit. Good luck.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 26, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicki143
    If he does not like it do not do it. None of my kids had tummy time infact never heard of it. Hvae you thought it could be hurting him.
    It is a relatively new recommendation that came about more so from babies being on their backs for sleeping. We started seeing more and more infants with 1) a pronounced flattened area on the back of the head, and 2) a greater lack of neck muscle control. Being on their back for sleeping obviously is to help lessen the possibility of cot death, or SIDS, so we don't want that to stop. Babies used to be on their stomachs for sleep, so they had ample opportunity to develop these muscles well. Now they are sleeping on their backs and often in carriers or baby seats, so the opportunity is not there unless parents make the time for it.
    Tummy time helps with those two areas of concern as well as basic development. Babies will develop from "top to bottom" and you will see this natural progression over several months as they lift their head more, move to holding the chest up, get their arms under them, and gradually work down to getting their knees under them.
    ReMmI Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Thanks for everything...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2008, 01:21 PM
    I will support the one poster, never heard of it, never used it besides to lay on or beside to go to sleep.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Yes it is recommended to get babies to move more-it is a recent thing because years ago there was a general increased level of mobility-our more recent times have led to SOME parents leaving their babies unattended for long periods of time-so yes it flattened their heads (occipitally-back of the head). It is not really so much for SIDS per se, but to provide a greater level of strength as suggested by Doula-top down strength.

Three months is a little young for 5 minutes though, I'd start with a couple of minutes at three months working up to 5-10 at 5-6 months.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

May 26, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Don't feel bad. My son crys and crys when I give him tummy time. :)
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

May 26, 2008, 06:10 PM
    My son also cried when I first tried tummy time. But as suggested above, lay in front of him and talk to him while he is on his tummy. I also would put him on his tummy on my bed, with me right there, and he seemed much happier knowing that I was right there.(I never left him there alone though) Now that he is 5 months old, he spends a lot of time on his tummy playing with his toys, rolling around etc.
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

May 26, 2008, 08:07 PM
    My 5 month old has always hated tummy time and still does, in fact when we went for her four month check up, the doctor noticed. Now we are in therapy because she isn't where she should be when it comes to tummy time. Try putting a pillow under her, like a boppy or a cylinder shaped pillow. It will help. I promise. It worked for my baby. Also, be sure that during tummy time, your baby is resting on his forearms. If he falls behind with his arm, neck, and back strength, he may be a late bloomer when it comes to sitting on his own.
    takkea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ReMmI
    My son is just 3 months old and I am tryin to get him to strengthen his neck muscles by putting him on his tummy on a daily basis but he will do it for like maybe 5 minutes then he starts crying he doesnt like it at all!? I dont know what to do about this....
    I would suggest propping the baby up on a pillow or using a boppy pillow. You cannot really rush the baby to do anything but you can encourage him. Not all babies develop at the same pace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Say she's interested but doesn't have the time. [ 6 Answers ]

So here's the story. I met a woman on myspace about a year that I befriended, really got to know and finally met about half a year ago. She's a 32 year old single parent with a 17 year old daughter (yes you read that right) that works as a dental assistant. She lives GA and I'm in OH. I'm...

BABY DADDY Fighting for Parental Rights and baby live part-time with his wife / kids [ 16 Answers ]

I have been in an extra-marital relationship for six months with a man who was "leaving" his wife. He told me repeatedly that they were living as roommates and he was moving out soon. Once this went on for some time, I decided I was worth more and broke up with him. I found out a few days later...

My 2 month old doesn't like tummy time [ 8 Answers ]

My 2 month old son doesn't like tummy time and his doctor says that he needs to have more of it. He holds his head great when he is upright but when he is on his tummy he just rubs his nose in the ground. I've tried to put those little tummy time pillows under him and my boppy pillow I've even...

I want to have a baby but my fianc? Doesn't [ 7 Answers ]

I am 20 years old and my fiancé is 21. We have been together for 3 years now. We moved to a new city out of state and away from everyone we know only 2 years ago and I only have a few friends here. I get lonely. I love kids and have always wanted lots of kids when I got older. I dearly want to...

He says he wants time alone n doesn't know if he loves me [ 5 Answers ]

I have some problem wit me and ma boyfriend :confused: I know there is a lot of azzholes out there... apart frm ma boyfriend he's a good guy but I thot he seems to want to be in a serious relationship like I want to... im not interested wit 1 night stand or flirtin any 1 or those kind of silly...

View more questions Search