Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patwood Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Leaking drip pan ruined wood floor? Is it covered by Ins
    My heat pump (Central air system ) On the inside where the heater is and coil is, the drip pan is rusting and leaking. BIG TIME LEAK!! The floor is ruined. I was wondering if the wood floor is covered and if there is mold in the ducts is that covered on the homeowners ins, too. I have a ac man coming over tues to install a new unit and fix the damage although the unit still gets cold and still seems to work it is 16 years old. The squirrl cage is dirty and the coils are too. I am sure that all that can be cleaned but for such an old unit wouldn't I be wise to replace it?:confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 25, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Most insurance companies started dropping mold and mildew from their policies years ago when people started getting worried about black mold. Your floor may be partially covered but it doesn't matter what we say. The adjuster will make a determination based on your policy. If a pipe burst you'd likely be covered but a rusty leaky pan will be looked at as poor maintenance so keep your fingers crossed. Replace that whole unit with a new high efficiency unit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2008, 06:51 PM
    It is doubtful that they will cover most, they may even have issues with the water damage if this was some repair that was not made and should have been seen. * rusted out** sounds like it happened over time and not keep up. But again each company has its own rules and procedures, and even within a company there is different levels of policy.

The only way to tell is call your company and get a inspection and see if they will cover any of it
    readersr Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Wear and tear is not a covered peril and by the pan being rusty , it would have had to leaked over a long period. If it had caused the floor to actually collapse and that had caused further damage then there might be coverage for the resulting damage as collapse is a covered peril. Most the home insurance policies have a limitation of 10,000 for damage and 50,000 for liability.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by readersr
    wear and tear is not a covered peril and by the pan being rusty , it would have had to leaked over a long period of time. if it had caused the floor to actually collapse and that had caused further damage then there might be coverage for the resulting damage as collapse is a covered peril. Most the home insurance policies have a limitation of 10,000 for damage and 50,000 for liability.

Not a "reddie" here but on the verge - where did you get these figures? $10,000 for damage the home and $50,000 for liability? Absolutely not correct - insurance is based on the value of the home and if you had $10,000 in insurance, 80% of value, you'd collect $8,000 in the event of a disaster.

And you don't even get into umbrella coverage -

Where did you get your "most" figures or maybe that is true in your part of the country.
    readersr Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 09:36 AM
    I'm sorry I failed to id the peril I noted but the 10,000 limit is normally for Fungi/mold and the 50,000 is the liability limit most policies carry for liability arising of out damages to others from mld or fungi. Most policies do not carry an absolute exclusion, some policies allow you to purchase higher limits of mold/fungi but you would want to speak to your agent.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 10:51 AM
    I think you got closer to a reddie with this response. Actually, most home insurance no longer carries any coverage for mold and mildew.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood floor scratch repair [ 2 Answers ]

I have oak hardwoods, sealed. I moved a piece of furniture and left behind on the floor two three inch deep scratchs. How can I fix this or do I need to call in a floor guy.

Leaking drip pan on heat pump ac [ 1 Answers ]

How can I clean the drip pan and repair pin holes to pan until I can get an ac man out here I can see that there is gunk in the pan and I took a flat heat screwdriver and got a little out but I want to see if that is OK to do and if so what do I use to open the blockage in the pvc pipe so that it...

Toilet install on a wood floor [ 3 Answers ]

I am having a home built & the builder is placing the toilet directly on a wood floor, there will be no tiling in this half bathroom; my question is : is there a code in NYS that requires a ceramic sleeve of saddle to be placed between the toilet & floor?

Floor tile over wood [ 1 Answers ]

Want to lay peel and stick floor tile over hardwood floor planks in bathroom, but there are cracks between some of the planks, as they have been replaced. What would be best to fill them with? The replaced wood is also unpainted. Should it be painted before putting down the tile? Thanks for...

Water drip after faucet turned off or toilet flush in floor [ 1 Answers ]

I have noticed that when I turn off my faucet or flush toilet, a dripping sound can be heard in the floor of my second floor bathroom. Is this a normal occurrence or should I be concerned? I have not seen any water marks in the ceiling below.

View more questions Search