Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcross Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Seeking assistance to an outdoor plumbing issue.
    Hello.

I have an outdoor spigot attached to the single-family condominium unit I reside in. Said unit protrudes from one of the walls of the condo. I noticed there is a significant leak coming from the spigot within the hose coupling. Is there a way to repair this problem simply and relatively inexpensively?
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

May 26, 2008, 12:38 AM
    Probably needs a new hose washer. A relative had the same problem last year and several washers cost a couple of dollars (US) in the lawn and garden department of a chain discount department store. Look near where the sprinklers and garden hoses are displayed.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 26, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dcross
    Hello.

I have an outdoor spigot attached to the single-family condominium unit I reside in. Said unit protrudes from one of the walls of the condo. I noticed there is a signficant leak coming from the spigot within the hose coupling. Is there a way to repair this problem simply and relatively inexpensively?
    Robertva's correct, sounds like a bad washer.The image I've put up is the same as a outside hose bib without the hose threads on the spout end. Shut the water off to the house, unscrew the large bonnet packing nutand back the stem and washer assembly out counterclockwise. First check the seat for nicks or rough spots. If none, then replace the washer and reassemble . Good luck, Tom
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

May 27, 2008, 11:40 PM
    Note that:

If water leaks around the hose fitting and you can turn the water completely off (including the leak) with the valve handle, than the problem is in the hose washer which is located in the female end of the hose. If a hose is attached to the faucet the elasticity of the hose might force water back towards the faucet, making the joint leak for a short while after you close the valve. Similar washers are located in various garden hose attachments like spray nozzles and sprinklers and can be subject to the same leakage problem with the identical washer as a repair.

If water leaks from the end of the faucet (with the hose detached) when you have closed the valve (usually turned as far as you can fairly easily turn clockwise) than the problem is the faucet washer speedball 1 is describing. That type of leak starts as a slow drip and gradually worsens over a period of weeks or months. You may need to visit the plumbing supply aisle of a hardware store or home improvement center to get faucet washers.

Of course it's entirely possible for both washers to be worn.

It's a good idea for there to be an anti-backflow device attached to the faucet to reduce the chance of water in your garden hose contaminating your household drinking water supply especially if you have a hose attached to the faucet when you turn off your main water supply cutoff to make other repairs. These devices are connected to the outdoor faucet where you would normally attach a hose. You then attach your hose to the anti-backflow device.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing issue [ 7 Answers ]

Here is my situation: The water level in my floor drain in the basement laundry room is too high It overflows when the washing machine drains The toilet in the next room will not flush properly - the water level in the bowl rises, but will not flush away the waste. If I leave the toilet alone,...

Bad odor in bathroom, outdoor cats? Vs plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

#1 Today, 01:31 PM martamama New Member Join Date: Feb 2007 Posts: 1 Bad odor in bathroom, outdoor cats peeing vs plumbing problem -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi a few weeks ago I noticed what I thought to be an old poopie...

Sewer Plumbing Issue [ 1 Answers ]

Several years ago, at great expense, we replaced our 60-year-old root-bound outside sewer line with PVC. That solved a good portion of our problems, but it they are not over. Our house has a sun room that was built on what used to be an outdoor porch with a textured concrete floor. Running for...

View more questions Search