Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nathalie Bergon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Acquiring a French passport
    Hello,

I am Canadian but my Grandmother has dual citizenship (French and Canadian). She lives 6 months in France and 6 months in Canada. I would like to start proceedings to acquire a French passport... if that is at all possible. Where do I begin? :confused: What do I need to make this a plausible request?

Thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 25, 2008, 12:59 PM
    I don't see why you would need a french passport, can you tell me the reason behind this idea. If you just want to travel to France to stay with your grandmother, then get a Cdn. Passport. What good will a French passport do you. Just because your grandmother is french, doesn't mean you have that privllege too. Your mother would have to be french for that to happen.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 25, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathalie Bergon
    hello,

I am Canadian but my Grandmother has dual citizenship (French and Canadian). She lives 6 months in France and 6 months in Canada. I would like to start proceedings to acquire a French passport... if that is at all possible. Where do I begin? :confused: What do I need to make this a plausible request?

Thank you
    How did your grandmother acquired dual citizenship? By birth or by marriage. How about your parents?

If one of your parents has French citizenship or dual citizenship BUT never lived in France except a few short visits, you are not eligible to obtain French citizenship.

For actual answer, I need more details.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get my french passport [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is patricia I was born in guadeloupe my father is a citizen of the french island But I did not go school there, I have two kid and they have their french passport in their hands they got it through me but I do not have any paper what should I do to det my fench passport

French Passport [ 1 Answers ]

My wife's grandfather was born in France. We live in South Africa. Can she obtain a French or EU passport?

French Passport [ 1 Answers ]

French passport Somebody mentioned in a recent conversation that if one has ancestors from Reunion Island that one may qualify for a French passport. Is that true? Thanks

View more questions Search