Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

May 25, 2008, 06:26 AM
    How many registered voters are there?
    I was just wondering how many registered voters that are in the US?
    On the average how many of them actually vote?
    How much money is spent on a Presidential, Congressional, Sentate, and Representative election individually? Does any one know these statistics?
    Thanks,
    Mobea
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 09:58 AM
    It is difficult to tabulate the current number of registered voters . In 2004 during the last Presidential season here was the breakdown :55 million registered Republicans ;72 million registered Democrats, 42 million registered as independents, under some other minor party or with a "No Party" designation. Total 169 million out of about 201.5 million who were eligible to vote.

In 2004 Kerry spent $1.08 billion and Bush spent $1.14 billion

In the last election cycle the average cost of winning a House race was just shy of $1 million. A Senate seat $7.8 million

May 27, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Did I just do my math right? Sombody doublecheckl me. Because the way I figured it they (Kerry and Bush) spent 11 million Nine Hundred and Sixty four Thousand Four Hundred and Ninety Seven dollar 11,064,497. PER REGISTERED voter.
    And the Senate spends 1.8 million PER SEAT
    Please tell me that I've got these figures wrong.
    Oh God, help us. I didn't realize how in reality the rich really are the ones running this country.
    I wonder if I ask a candidate if he'll just give me 11million, I'll vote for him. Why don't they just campaign like that? You pay me, and I'll vote for you. Everybody's happy. He gets my vote, and I get the money. The only ones who lose out is the media and the campaign teams. I mean if this is really how much it cost to get elected, let's be fair about it. How much is my vote worth? That's the way they play the game in the house and the senate. We the voters are getting taken for a ride. They pay that much money for our vote and we don't get a nickel of it? What's wrong with that picture? SOMEBODY'S getting that money!
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Most of the money spent was through contributions that are capped through the election laws at $2000 per individual. Just ask the Obama campaign how that works . He is raking in dough mostly through individual donations . His spending will by far exceed the money spent in 2004.

Edit : let me amend that .there is also the ridiculous Federal matching funds that get taken directly from the Treasury. That should be the first change... eliminate that and let the candidates sink or swim on their own.For the 2000 general election, George W. Bush and Al Gore each took $67.6 million out of the U.S. Treasury.
    ShadowTiger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 08:33 AM
    (Mobea: There's a mistake in your math somewhere. Kerry and Bush combined spent about $13 per registered voter. 169,000,000 * $13.14 ~= $2,220,000,000.)

Sep 26, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Just noticed that my calcuator came up with an error. It didn't go up that high. I still feel that they are spending more than $13 per vote somehow.
    margaret opine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Comment on tomder55's post
    Close enough, thanks.
    countmagnus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 03:30 AM

How many registered voters are there in the United States?
    istewart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 02:23 PM
    A) countmagnus, if you read the thread from the beginning you'll see the answer. That is, after all, how this started. B) Mobea, assuming tomder55's numbers are right, how you feel doesn't change the math. $1,080,000,000 + $1,140,000,000 = $2,220,000,000 and $2,220,000,000/169,000,000 voters = $13.14 per voter.
    zonedude Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2010, 01:19 PM
    I know this is an old post, but there's something wrong with your figures. There were roughly 169 million REGISTERED voters, of which not all of them voted. Commonly, less than half of registered voters vote in any one election. Therefore, the estimate on how much each vote cost would roughly double to $26 per vote. Got to watch what's being compared in these statistics...
    Raykr441 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 01:48 PM
    What is the largest amount of votes cast in a general election?
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2012, 02:20 PM
    The US population is always growing ,and the most votes cast is in Presidential elections .

2008 Barack Obama had 66,862,039 popular votes cast for him ; and John McCain had 58,319,442 votes cast for him.
    abanikko Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 08:00 AM
    Zonedude, Remember the equation quoted was "How much money was spent per REGISTERED VOTER". Not how many votes that investment resulted in.
    Now in contrast I'll bet the amount of acutal voters would have been in the 90+% range if they knew they could have received $13.14 just for voting.

Feb 8, 2012, 09:35 AM
    abanikko: Depending on whose question you're answering... mobea stated "I still feel that they are spending more than $13 per vote somehow." istewart, in his answer to her post, then changed the equation to the per "voter" result. $26 per vote (roughly) and $13 per registered voter. Will that be agreeable?
    abanikko Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 11:06 AM
    Zonedude: Yep, That'll do! I forget to watch out for things like that. How in the world did Modea come up with 11,000,000 though?

Feb 8, 2012, 09:37 PM
    I think that number showed up as a calculator error... or a misreading of the number the calculator was showing. Basically, a misplaced decimal... instead of 11 million dollars per registered voter, it was 11 dollars per eligible voter, IF the numbers given by tomder55 were correct.
    squeeniesmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
    WAIT UP!. You can't figure that $2 billion was spent on all those voters!

It was ONLY SPENT ON THE ONES THAT WEREN'T REGISTERED as Republican or Democrat because those people vote the party line regardless.

That means of the 42 million people who were undecided who actually decide the
    Election, AND ONLY 90% OF REGISTERED VOTERS ACTUALLY HAVE VOTED ON AVERAGE IN THE PAST...

You have to take 90% of 42 million,and you get about 38 million voters undecided voters...

Now, divide that into the $2.22 billion spent, each voter that isn't voting straight party line, and therefore decides the election, could have been paid... WHAT?? About $1/2 million dollars a piece?
    jacka123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2012, 08:45 PM
    Get your calculator and your head fixed mobea
    jackscarry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2012, 02:08 PM
    An aside:
    From all the numbers and calculations of dollars and voters It becomes aparant that a super rich person could simply buy the election by spending more than the other candidates combined. After all most elections are won by whoever spends the most money.
    An impossible to get done suggestion:
    Change the campaign financing laws so that only X dollars could be spent by any candidate per eligible to vote constituent in their House District, State and Nation, depending on the office being campaigned for.
    Earl Grunden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2012, 11:58 AM
    How many Registered Voters are there in 2012?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Registered Logos [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys How I can check different logos if they are registered or not and if they are registered how to get there details? Plzzz help...

Insurance but not registered [ 4 Answers ]

I was in a car accident the other day and I was wondering if you could have insurance on a car that's not registered?

US Voters: Do you already know how you'll vote in the next Presidential Election? [ 6 Answers ]

Hope y'all don't mind me taking a long-before-the-election poll. Do you know now how you will vote... or if you will vote? Vote and/or post, or ignore as you wish :) PS: Only the numbers will be shown. What individuals choose in the poll is not shown.

GOP/black voters [ 14 Answers ]

Polls have shown that many black voters, especially in the south are socially conservative yet nearly 90 percent continue to vote for the democrats. Could someone explain why? How can the Republicans win more black votes?

View more questions Search