Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dg1267 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 12:21 AM
    Outlook Express 6 Addy Book Problems
    Somehow my address book has been locked by another program and I can't figure out what program that is. It is wreaking havoc on my OE because it won't let me respond to newsgroups, send email, or even open the address book. When I try to open the address book in OE an error message pops up saying "The Address Book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configured, please re-install". The only problem with that is that it won't let me re-install it! I have tried to delete and uninstall IE6 and OE6 both. I have went into the registry and changed both reg values to "0" and then reinstall over them and that didn't work. Can anyone give me an idea of what might work? I have went to the Microsoft website for help and none of that worked either. I'm running out of options.
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Mar 1, 2006, 03:09 AM
    Hi,
    Could you tell what is your OS.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Hi,
    Try this to reinstall.
    Go to Start/Find or might be Search.
    Then, type in ie6setup.exe, and click on Find or Search.
    When it finds the file, then left double click on it, and it should start the installation Wizard for reinstalling IE6 and Outlook Express6.
    When a pop-up says "IE is already installed, are you sure you want to reinstall it?". Click on Yes, and it will do the uninstallations, then reinstall.
    If that doesn't work, here is a link for XP, if you have XP, with the different versions to do a reinstall:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378
    Best of luck.

Mar 2, 2006, 05:46 AM
    I'm sorry, I thought I told my OS!! It is XP. And fredg, I have tried both of those methods and got nowhere. When I try to reinstall it, it just says that it found a newer version, installation cannot complete. If any other suggestions, I would be thankful.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2006, 05:59 AM
    Hi, dg,
    If you are using SP1, then scroll down almost to the bottom of the site. It gives steps to Edit the Registry.; so the "found newer version..." will not stop the installation.
    Hope this works!
    If you are using SP2, then look for the Registry values anyway, see if they are the same. If so, then follow the steps to change them to 0.

Mar 2, 2006, 06:10 AM
    LOL, sorry fred, I should've told you I done that already also. It's going to have to be something pretty extraordinary before I will be able to say I haven't done it. I've even used live tech support, downloaded IE7 beta 2, etc. etc...

I do appreciate your help though, just that I've tried a lot already and nothing has worked.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2006, 06:30 AM
    Hi, again,
    Do you have a System Restore point(s) setup with your XP?
    Just a thought. Might try Restoring it to a previous date when you know it worked OK.

Mar 2, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Yes, I do, but for some reason it won't let me restore to any of my restore points. Can't figure that one out either.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2006, 10:02 AM
    Hi,
    The only other suggestion I have is to repair XP.
    There is a reason why your System Restore isn't working, and maybe a repair will get it going.
    If you would like to try it, here is a link with some steps on how to do it:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

Best of luck.
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Mar 2, 2006, 10:53 AM
    When I follow that link from FREDG I get how to reinstall Windows XP, not just the restore function. I had a problem with system restore. My compuetr would act like it was restoring and after it rebooted it would say it couldn't restore to requested access point, no matter the point I used. What I did was right click computer > Properties > System Restore. Check "Turn Off System restore" > Apply > Reboot. After reboot, uncheck "Turn Off System Restore" > Apply > Reboot. That fixed it. Now keep in mind that this will CLEAR ALL PREVIOUS RESTORE POINTS. So this won't fix your Outlook problem, but should fix the restore problem. If that doesn't fix the restore problem try here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302796. May even look here first.
    MillzE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Just had this same problem, tried the re-installing of IE6 by changing reg values to 0 etc etc. and all didn't work... But just did a system restore to my previous day's settings and addy book working fine now! :D

Thanks, hope this helps others!

Matt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express: Big Address Book but nothing in Contacts [ 11 Answers ]

Got a new laptop and imported my address book (wab) into OE... the same way I've done it dozens of times over the years... But on this 'puter the Contacts pane is empty. When I go to the address book (from within OE) all my contacts are there, and when I go to send an email and start typing...

Outlook Express address book corrupted, How to rebuild? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My OE Address Book is corrupted, I have made an "export" to have a backup. How can I recreate this Address book before "importing" my backup? Thanks is advance

Outlook Express Printing Problems [ 4 Answers ]

Windows XP with IE6 and Outlook Suddenly all my EMails are printed in small print using any of my printers (HP and EPSOM) I have re-booted the system and printed again.. same result I can print in Word or any other documents and get full size print However ALL my Emails use a tiny print. ...

Outlook Express [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I cannot open any attachmnet from Outlook Express. When I click on the little clip on the bottom part of Outlook, the attachmnets are always in gary and not available for opening or saving. Can anybody help with this? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search