Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sreedv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 12:19 AM
    Data Communication, Evaluate the performance of communication
    Hi, I would like your help in the below question:

Scenario
    Mr Paul Rainer sits in his office at Avon Cosmetics, in Salford Quays. Mr Rainer is
    Vice President of corporate MIS and his mind is moving to communications. His
    Enthusiasm is infectious and all the executives in the company (world-wide) want to
    Be using the latest technology. Avon uses networked P.C’s throughout the
    Organisation.
    While Avon is best known for the door to door beauty business, the company also
    Includes a thriving health-care and direct-response divisions. Recent acquisitions
    Include Giorgio Inc. and Parfums Stern.
    The MIS department has been set up for two years and has a charter to better manage
    The company’s corporation. The MIS team has interviewed executives from all around
    The world to find out hat they need from communications. On the other hand
    Employees from the bottom up have filed in questionnaires to identify their perceived
    Requirements of the communication system.

So what do they need?
    • The company has executives world-wide, the cost and time spent travelling is a
    Constant drain on resources. An idea that has been identified is Video
    Conferencing. They need you to explain the requirements and theories behind
    Implementing this for the company. These are IT professionals, they want the in’s
    And out’s not just a general introduction.

Task One
    Produce a paper that fulfils the statements above.
    • Marketing – are producing materials; posters, videos and audio tracks. They need
    To send these in the most efficient way possible, UK base only to begin with.

Task Two
    Explain and cost communication requirements for connecting Salford-Birmingham-
    London for the marketing departments.
    • General office staffs want to share files and have email.

Task Three
    What is the minimum requirement for a communication system with this capability?

Task Four
    Explain to the Directors of the company the trade off on all levels you have
    Documented between ideal and acceptable performance. You also need to distinguish
    Between users’ perceived and actual business needs, would you as an IT professional
    Recommend the implementation of all the communication levels the employees say
    They require.

Thank you,
    Sree Devi
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

May 27, 2008, 11:21 AM
    You have your work cut out for you. Your network infrastructure has to be able to handle the demands of Video Conferencing. Unlike normal WAN traffic that can be retransmitted if errors are found, Audio/Video Conferencing is live and can not be retransmitted. So the Quality of Service needs to be guaranteed by your provider. What is your WAN infrastructure like? Are you using MPLS with QoS guarantees? Do you expect basic Analog capabilities with the less 512kb/sec or digital HD quality at up to 1.5Mb/sec required bandwidth?

For security, file sharing, etc. do you have a global network and security infractructure such as Active Directory?

For the mobile users, are you going to be using VPN, IP Phones, mail delivered to smart phones (ie Good or Blackberry)?

For Video Conferencing, it is between Tandberg and Polycom and I prefer the Tandberg just a little more. The scheduling components integrate with Outlook so that meeting schedules can be centralized and are more visible. Cisco's solution is rebranded Tandberg equipment but they also have the IP telephony to integrate with it. Your networking infrastructure has to also accommodate this with the proper switches such as being able to provide power over ethernet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 27, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Please review the guidelines on asking for help with homework that can be found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/arts-l...board-b-u.html
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

May 28, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Please review the guidelines on asking for help with homework that can be found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/arts-l...board-b-u.html
    Thanks. I had a feeling that this person was trying to get someone to do their homework for them. I provided plenty of possible avenues for research but I will not perform the duties of "free consultant". Never ask someone to do something that you are not willing to first do yourself. You are cheating yourself if you do not perform the research required.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Comments on this post
    sreedv disagrees: Thanks for your answer. Actually I need to explain how to implement the video conferencing in a company in details. Doesn't matter what we use, but an idea of how to implement is good enough.

May I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Communication [ 7 Answers ]

Men don't like to talk... that I know about a lot of guys.. so what are some ways to help a man to communicate better after an argument ( esp when there mad about the issue or offended) instead of avoidance or a silent treatment or even just walking away?

Communication [ 7 Answers ]

Why won't my boyfriend communicate with me about his feelings and thoughts?:(

About wireless communication [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: What is wireless communication? How does it work? What is mobile technology?

View more questions Search