Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ginsenghunter Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Compression release 15.5 briggs motor
    Hello, I have a 15.5 Briggs and stratton engine on a Snapper mower and from what I have read in other forums I believe the compression release is not working the way it should. Not knowing a lot about engines I have so far replaced the starter (I broke it) the solenoid, and battery cables. The problem is that when I crank the engine it turns over fast enough but stops after about one turn and seems to be straining to crank again. If I turn the flywheel by hand slightly it will turn over easily again for another rotation then stop again and the process repeats. I removed the spark plug and the engine cranked over really fast without any hesitation and kept cranking until I turned the key off. My question is does it sound like I might have a bad compression release and if so could I with limited tools and basic mechanical skills repair it or should I take it somewhere to have it fixed?

Thanks for any help!
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Well, true some briggs engines had a problem some years ago with compression releases. However, I would certainly suspect your valves are out of adjustment.
    ginsenghunter Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Thanks I will check that valve adjustment!
    d7t4w32 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2012, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468 View Post
    Well, true some briggs engines had a problem some years ago with compression releases. However, I would certainly suspect your valves are out of adjustment.
    I have the same problem on my 15.5hp B&S engine but my valve clearance is within specs, so I suspect a worn cam lobe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV No Compression [ 3 Answers ]

My Riding mower has an 8 year old Briggs & Stratton 14.5 HP OHV Engine. Engine always maintained properly and has run well. While mowing, engine ran well for an hour and then suddenly quit for a split second, and backfired as it came back to life. I continued to mow and it did it again, the third...

8 horse Briggs compression spec. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old 8 hp Briggs with 75 psi. . What is the minimum compression psi. to run?

Compression release 14hp briggs stratton [ 1 Answers ]

How to adjust compression release 14 hp briggs engine ohv,

20.5hp briggs, compression release valve? [ 8 Answers ]

Do these engine have a valve to release compression to make it start easier? I think mine is stuck shut cause its real hard to turn over

B&S 18HP INTEK Valves/Compression Release [ 1 Answers ]

Am having the same trouble as a lot of others with my 18 hp B&S Intek rider. The motor turns over 1 revolution and stops.Installed new battery and have reset the valve clearance to (.004 intake, 006 exhaust)I remember something about a gummed-up compression release causing this problem ....

View more questions Search