Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 03:15 AM
    Are men afraid of showing their weaknesses
    Are men afraid of showing their weaknesses partly out of fear of women exploiting them?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 24, 2008, 03:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis
    are men afraid of showing their weaknesses partly out of fear of women exploiting them?
    What sort of weaknesses are you asking about and what do you mean by exploiting, please?
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 04:03 AM
    Ahh, I thought someone might ask that question, Clough. Glad it was you :)

Well, there are lots of fears about feeling weak that we would all rather hide, I suppose, whether male or female. How about the fear that the male isn't strong enough to face another challenge just at the moment, whether psychological or physical, yet doesn't want to show it in case his partner talks down to him, maybe. Is he likely to be more demanding at that time, or more withdrawn, like going into the shed for peace?

I don't know, that's a poor example. I guess I'm fishing, wondering what fears men might have in relation to women. And why they act the way they do at times.
    mrchef1110 Posts: 62, Reputation: 8

May 25, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Just like women, men are just as insecure. There are a lot of things we fear but in today's society most men try to show the tough guy face as it is easier to face other people. However I don't agree that men are afraid showing weakness to their partner, whom they trust with the information they are giving them. If they don't that shows a lack of trust on their side or they will in time as it takes time to get comfortable enough with a person to show all the things that make them tick.

Some guys get reserved when facing a problem and some share it really depends on the person. I don't know if this helped but I tried.
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 02:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchef1110
    i don't agree that men are afraid showing weakness to their partner, whom they trust with the information they are giving them. If they don't that shows a lack of trust on their side or they will in time as it takes time to get comfortable enough with a person to show all the things that make them tick.
    Thank you!
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 07:06 PM
    I read an interesting quote a couple of months ago. It was what is the most basic fear of men and of women... deep down fear... man v. woman. For a man, it is being laughed at. For a woman, it is being beat up. I thought that was interesting.

I think it is a basic inbred, perhaps genetic, that men don't want to seem weak to women. The male role throughout the millennia has been that of protector of women and children... pregnant females with children have always needed help to survive until just very recently.

Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    I read an interesting quote a couple of months ago. It was what is the most basic fear of men and of women....deep down fear...man v. woman. For a man, it is being laughed at. For a woman, it is being beat up. I thought that was interesting.

I think it is a basic inbred, perhaps genetic, that men don't want to seem weak to women. The male role throughout the millennia has been that of protector of women and children....pregnant females with children have always needed help to survive until just very recently.

I agree, that is an interesting thought. Our deepest fears may well be the fear of being laughed at (humiliated) and beaten (physically ruined). And yes, I also think there is something fundamental (without being fundamentalist) and core in our make-up that renders women totally reliant on someone to protect them during pregnancy and the phase of raising small children, and that men, under normal circumstances, instinctively want to provide this for women.

Thank you very much for your thoughts, Choux.
    EightEleven91 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2008, 06:49 PM
    I am fine with telling people my weaknesses, whoever I tell we just have a joke about it. I don't like acting like the big man and I don't want to be looked at one challenging to be the big man. Im myself and myself is letting people know my weaknesses, to friends or anyone, its good to have a good laugh about yourself :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 01:07 AM
    I like your attitude a lot, it's nicely relaxed. I'm sure it makes you easy to get along with :)
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 02:35 PM
    I think a lot goes on the mans age and in what era they were raised.
    Lots of men who are maybe late 50's, don't like to cry in front of anyone, usually because then they were raised to believe that it was a sign of weakness for men to cry... it wasn't the proper thing to do... wasn't considered manly.

Then, they were considered to be the soul supporter of the family, having to deal with all the family financial matters with sometimes very little income at that time, but still they would not consider asking for help, it was their duty to provide so to speak , if they fell short ,then they were looked upon as weak, not a man, unable to support his family and so on... remembering we are talking 1940's then.

Through the years society has changed, in as much as, it is recognized that to bottle up your stress and feelings can be damaging to your health.

Today mens weaknesses are different... now its all about self image, if you criticize a man in front of his mates... e.g.. He turns away from a challenge, someone insults his girl friend and he walks away, he prefers a cuppa to a pint down the pub... to anyone looking on, this shows as a weakness and it will be a long time before they let him forget it.

There are to many examples to put down, but hopefully you'll understand what I mean.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    I read an interesting quote a couple of months ago. It was what is the most basic fear of men and of women....deep down fear...man v. woman. For a man, it is being laughed at. For a woman, it is being beat up. I thought that was interesting.

I think it is a basic inbred, perhaps genetic, that men don't want to seem weak to women. The male role throughout the millennia has been that of protector of women and children....pregnant females with children have always needed help to survive until just very recently.

Interesting.

I heard that the two most common fears were:

Biggest fear is of speaking in front of a large group.
    Second biggest fear is of dying.

The old saying was, that most people would rather be in the casket, than giving the sermon to the large group of people attending the funeral.
    Mrcuddlesworth Posts: 96, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2008, 03:27 AM
    I'm a guy

Have you heard the stereotype that men are the dominate species. And I personally hate this stereotype, while I was dating this girl I found she was dominate in our relationship she likes to have everything. But she has a sweet soft sensitive and I poured my heart out too. And I feel its endearing.

Plus I have a good amount of friends but more of the percentage is girls and I've told them all my life secrets and everything I feel that iwas horrible I've done.

Personaly it helped because know if something comes up they wll know and help me out.

Hope this helps
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 03:44 AM
    I was glad to read this, thanks Orphan: Through the years society has changed, in as much as, it is recognized that to bottle up your stress and feelings can be damaging to your health.

progunr: what you're saying is that certain fears are universal and non-gender specific. I can certainly relate to the fear of speaking in public which is probably my biggest weakness... totally freeze in front of a group. Much prefer one-to-one communication or small groups of people I've gotten to know well.

Mrcuddlesworth: thanks for that. I think love is at it's best when two people can safely share their life secrets and everything they feel. You're very lucky to have experienced that and to have made life-long friends as a result... friends you can always count on being there for you and who already know how you feel about things. It's a reassuring sign we're making some progress.

I really appreciate people letting me know how they feel about these things... it's helping me sort out a few important things I'm needing to understand at the moment, which is great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

He's afraid of everything [ 3 Answers ]

I've been dating this guy for about 6 months now. He's 30 and I'm 19. At first we got together because my ex kicked me out and He let me stay at his place for about a month. I got an apartment and he now lives with me. We got really close and became a couple. We had sex a few times a week and for...

Too Afraid [ 1 Answers ]

I'm afraid of a lot of things that envolve people or being seen. I mean like deadly afraid and too afraid to even tell anyone. Im afraid of so much stuff . Itd rediculus. I don't know how other people aren't this way. I'm afraid to even tuen my work in at school. Or talk, look nice, everything....

Hdd not showing in disk management but showing in device manager [ 1 Answers ]

I have my friend's hdd which crashed few daz ago then I connected it to my PC as slave but now its in the device manager and bios though not showing in MY COMPUTER,DISK MANAGEMENT.. help

I'm afraid of my son! [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 22 yrs old and mentally disturbed. I have taken him to the local MHMR but they only prescribe anti-depressant and anti-psychotic drugs. No counseling or coping skills. He can not hold down a job and cannot seem to take care of himself. I don't know what to do with him. I am afraid he...

Why am I so afraid? [ 2 Answers ]

A few months ago I visited a site where a large historic ship was docked. I have been on ships several times, for cruises, and never had any issues,however just looking at this one ship frightened me to the point I could not look at it. Today, I was walking my dog, and a large CAT...

View more questions Search