Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rombago Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Pouring concrete over a concrete front porch
    Our front porch has dropped about and inch and a half on the back edge--where the front door is. We would like to pour concrete to level the porch and bring it up an inch or so on the door edge, and maybe 1/2 or 1/4 inch on the front edge. Then we would like to place porcelain tile on the porch.

Can we pour concrete over Painted concrete? I read somewhere that an epoxy layer should be put down over the old cement porch before pouring the new. What kind of epoxy is this?Maybe the new concrete will be so heavy it will cause the porch to sink more.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

May 24, 2008, 11:25 AM
    There are contractors out now who can just inject a product right underneath the low spots after drilling a few holes and level your porch out good as new. Look in the yellow pages. As for pouring if you still want to--a layer of paint will prevent a good bond. Just use paint stripper /remover. The epoxy layer would go under your tiles. Most people can't work quickly enough to embed tile into wet concrete before it sets too much. Recognize that concrete less than 2 inches thick has little strength as far as holding up under heavy traffic in and out and may crack. You might get a better bond if you get a contractor to "roughen up" the old slab before you pour.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete porch [ 1 Answers ]

Concrete porch is pulling away from the brick on front of house , leaving a big gap and sloping down .How to fill gap and prevent further damage.

Pouring Concrete Slap over Concrete piers [ 1 Answers ]

I drew a fairly detailed drawing of the slab that I wanted, with the piers (flagpole support piers, with pipes down to put poles into) shown so they could do it all in one pour. Well, I guess our general contractor cannot read the drawings because all I got were the piers with the metal in them. ...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

Pouring Concrete [ 2 Answers ]

If I have to pour concrete over a large area (8 cubic yards) can I pour it in sections or does it have to be all at once?

Fixing Concrete Steps - Front Porch [ 3 Answers ]

It appears that the front step on my house has settled and dropped about 6 - 8 inches from where it was originally attached to the front of the house. The house is about 20 years old with a slanted front yard and this took place long before we moved in. Originally my plan was to just add another...

View more questions Search