Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hello Im Johnny Cash Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Help! What camcorder should I get??
    I'm an aspiring filmmaker, and after seeing the documentary "Tarnation", I decided it would be cool to record a bunch of entertaining everyday stuff that goes on in my life, both for practice shooting and editing. The only problem is I have no idea what camcorder to buy. :confused: I want one that makes it easy to transfer video to the computer, and isn't too big or terribly expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Mar 11, 2006, 08:07 PM
    Have you tried this page?
    > http://www.smart-review.com/bestcamcorders.html

I recommend you get something like this to start off:
    Sony HDR-HC1 HD 1080i MiniDV Camcorder

Or if you have some cash to spend go with something more for the buck...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2006, 09:53 PM
    we bought a reconditioned JVC gr-d72u model on eBay... its fine enough quality, easy to use, but I don't know if its good enough for what you'd want.

anyway, I guess my point is if $$ is an issue consider reconditioned or floor models from auction sites, using sellers with good ratings, a reasonable return policy, and a credit card to protect you from theft.

we've purchased 3 cameras and 2 camcorders this way and I haven't been disappointed yet, and saved $$. One camera needed to be sent back and replaced as DOA, but again, reputable sellers will accommodate.

also, do a search for camcorder reviews... we were led to the jvc by some consumer reviews sites and they were pretty useful. You could also go to a big box electronics store, have them sell you on the make, model you like and then search for better deals online.

or see if your local college or community college has someone who works in this area. If you're polite and don't waste a lot of their time some professors are happy to take a few minutes to talk to someone about their expertise.. . though I didn't react too favorably when the guy wanting to know about the different configurations of meth drug precursors walked into my office one day... =)... was trying to get out of potential jail time.

sorry I cannot be of more use on the model...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firewire doesn't recognize the camcorder [ 5 Answers ]

I had connected my camcorder using a cable to Firewire (IEEE1394) before to burn videos to DVDs. It worked fine . But recently I tried again , it seems the computer doesn't recognize the connection of the camcorder through FIREWIRE. I have XP home edition operating system. Can anyone help me with...

Firewire problem with Sony Camcorder [ 7 Answers ]

I am wondering what the secret is to hooking up a Sony TRV330 digital Camcorder through the Firewire connection. Apparently there is a sequence that must be followed or you can blow out something in the Camcorder. I don't do this very often, so once again, I guess I killed it (the camcorder). ...

View more questions Search