Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bxclnt Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Move a inquiry to right area
    Today I became a member and inadvertently, not being so computer savvy, posted my question about scalding hot water in cold tap in the "Forum Area." Anyway someone can help move this so I can get our question out thee without retyping? Thanks for your timel.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 23, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Ok you are in the right location now. Tell us more, does the hot tap also give hot water? Is this a single handled mixing valve, what brand?

Jul 6, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Thank you for moving our inquiry. Sorry it has taken so long for our reply. I appreciate your kindness in trying to help. Our family has had to be away for some time now.

Yes there is hot water in the hot water taps and the faucet brand in kitchen is Peerless.

I think I stated in my question that the scalding water (in the winter only, and only when the furnace is used) comes after a few seconds of running a cold tap and is throughout home, including the toilet tank/bowl, shower, bathroom and kitchen sink. I also think I mentioned that a plumber told me it had to be a valve at the furnace. The mixing valve? The furnace heats our hot water.

Come September this year it will be interesting to see what happens as the landlord is converting heating systems. Our rental now has oil heat paid for by landlord. Beginning September we begin paying for heat (as so many landlords are doing today with the oil crunch); converting to natural gas/boiler.

The landlord's plumber has consistently told him at our three complaints we made in past that the reason is because the hot and cold pipes run side-by-side. Of course, this is ridiculous or we'd all be making a fortune having found a new way to heat water to scalding temperatures!

Our hope is this coming heating season this will be resolved. If not, we will have to take further steps to resolve the issue.

However, we are still insterested in what you may have to offer for answers or ideas. Thank you for taking the time to answer our question.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Hot and cold pipes running side by side or touching could explain your situation if it happened year round. Cold water pipes sitting on top of air ducts or other hot parts of your heating system seems to fit your situation. This may not change when the new system is installed.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 6, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Sounds like you have a boiler heating system that also provides domestic hot water. A defective mixing valve would cause the symptoms you describe. Conversion to a new system should resolve this.

Jul 7, 2008, 12:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Sounds like you have a boiler heating system that also provides domestic hot water. A defective mixing valve would cause the symptoms you describe. Conversion to a new system should resolve this.
    Thank you. I agree with your answer as I have discussed the matter with two master plumbers and they said the same thing.:) :)

Jul 7, 2008, 12:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Hot and cold pipes running side by side or touching could explain your situation if it happened year round. Cold water pipes sitting on top of air ducts or other hot parts of your heating system seems to fit your situation. This may not change when the new system is installed.
    My other answer seems more appropriate since I have discussed the matter with two Master plumbers and received the same answer. Thank you.

Jul 7, 2008, 12:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bxclnt
    My other answer seems more appropriate since i have discussed the matter with two Master plumbers and received the same answer. Thank you.
    \
    I'm not sure you can see the other answer, think you can, but anyway, I do believe since the furnace provides domestic hot water, the mixing valve is the problem. It will be interesting to see what happens when the new system - new natural gas boiler is installed.

The one other apt. downstairs does not have heat provided as it has a wall system, and that apt. also gets scalding water from the cold outlets only when I use my heating that is provided from the landlord's furnace. Thanks again. I'll rate.

Jul 7, 2008, 12:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Sorry if I rated your answer, I am unfamiliar with this site. But, thanks for your thoughts!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 7, 2008, 05:40 AM
    the scalding water (in the winter only, and only when the furnace is used) comes after a few seconds of running a cold tap and is throughout home, including the toilet tank/bowl, shower, bathroom and kitchen sink. I also think I mentioned that a plumber told me it had to be a valve at the furnace. The mixing valve? The furnace heats our hot water.
    The way I see it is that you have a return bend in the furnace pot that heats the water as the furnace is running. Now if a check valve wasn't installed on the cold waterfeed the hot water would expand back into the cold water supply giving you the symptoms that you have.
    Hot and cold pipes running side by side or touching could explain your situation
    I don't think so Bob. Heat conducts to cold, Not the other way around. I believe it's called "the Second Law of Thermodynamics" Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scientific inquiry [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get some examples of saturated solutions?

Pregnancy Inquiry? [ 2 Answers ]

I Am On Cycle Date 51... I Have Yet To Receive My Period Or Any Signs Of It. I Have Every Well Known Pregnancy Symptom Except A Positive Test. I Took A Urine Test On Cycle Date 39 And A Blood Test On Cycle Date 40, Both Came Back Negative. I Am Not Working Out, And I Don't Have Much Stress, No...

Scientific inquiry [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get a topic to do scientific inquiry? (like which one has more heat capacity aluminum bar or aluminum foil?) comparison between two things

View more questions Search