Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

May 23, 2008, 01:11 PM
    I sware and I want to stop
    In never say the f-word, but latley I have been acting like saying and damb and stuff are OK, my family thinks its not and is getting really annoyed at me for it to, I don't know wher I picked it up some movies I watch say S D a lot but I think it is getting out of hand, I am usually a decent person and I think people will just see another swarer when they see me.
    Please help if you have any tips on how to stop I'd love it.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 01:32 PM
    When People use Curse or swear words usually they just can't think of a different word to say. Try to expand your vocabulary and that should help. Not saying you are dumb or anything like that so please don't get offended. I grew up in a family that curses all the time so to me it is no big deal.

May 23, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Yeah, it's mostly damb cause I get mad and I just say it, what's a good subsuit other than dang darn cause those just don't work
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 23, 2008, 03:42 PM
    I'm a Christian, a father, a part-time pastor, a corporate trainer and a normal guy. So I say this as a guy who stands in a LOT of shoes and with a pretty solid "self-control" standpoint.

I really have little patience for blanket rules that are intended to control the actions of others for no other reason than "I want them to obey." The concept of don't use curse words falls partly into this category. It's mostly controlling, though it is well-intended.

WORDS MEAN THINGS

All words, even curse words, are useful for expression. You really should feel OK about using them IN CONTEXT. Sparingly and accurately, I say. Sometimes, like smashing your finger in the door, no other word except SH!T suffices. And it gets the job done quickly.

Side-bar - some "street" language includes cursing as adjectives. This is unacceptable. This is the process by which words become meaningless. This should be avoided, it makes you sound like a idiotic punk.

Even sprinkling in too many "damns" can net you the same low-brow effect. Don't do it.

You should be a master of ALL the words you employ. Don't let them get oout of your control. Be respectful of your words when you're around your elders, but if a particular word is absolutely critical to making your point, use it. That's what words are for.

May 23, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Um well I guess that works, I thought about that OK OK OK, I'll do that
    ladieedee21 Posts: 96, Reputation: 6

May 23, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Yah gurll... I mean think about it..
    Would anythingg happen if you said."sh*t".
    or just cursing anythingg...
    Nah.. nothing happenss... nothing changes.. your still in the stuition...
    But what happens...

The more you will say it... you will get used it..
    When you get used to it... your often using it all the time... when that happens.. Family gets mad.. when family gets madd... you don't care... no caringg... leading your family to be angry and wouldn't talk with you...

SO get up Chick.. show who you are.. live it up... and be normal...
    Have the patience upon yourselff...
    Something happens.. no cursingg...
    Your just thinking too much and can't control yourself..

But when you control yourself... ahh that's the different..
    your going to live a calm and sweet life... =]]]
    Being respectedd.. and lovedd by the who who care about you... and when things come around... you now know how to deall witth itt...
    yupp...

So think about??
    Am I living rightt like this... is people[or is my "family"] liking me.. am I over doing it...
    and the real question is, are you being respected??

Gurll I knoww you can!=]]]
    =D
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 24, 2008, 03:38 AM
    What JB said about it being a way of expression when used in context is right (actually all of what was said).

I had no 'guidance' when it came to learning 'cuss-words' when I was young. My dad was in the military and I did hear him cuss a few times, but didn't know what the words meant then so they did not interest me. My mother was German so she also had her special words and used them.

I'm 57 now and have used my share of cuss-words and later when my daughter repeated me I did not forbid them. All I told her was that she could express herself in any way she felt necessary at the time - but AT HOME. I asked her to please try not to cuss in public as it gives a bad impression and she adhered to my request. We did compromise with one particular word, the 'F' word. Instead of saying it, we stopped and said Firetruck.. The first and last three letters were still there, but it made the word longer to speak and safer to use in public, and after a while we just stopped it altogether.

There are cuss-words in every language that I know of, so evidently there are times when no other word is strong enough to express how we feel - just abide by your own morals and rules and not let other's negative influence in provoking you to use them as 'every second word' (they loose their meaning then)... Be your own boss.

P.S. lucky for you that teachers are not allowed to wash out your mouth with soap these days,

I hate Ivory Soap to this day!
    burtyjim Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

May 26, 2008, 03:35 PM
    I don't really mind people swearing I think its part of life. Everyone swears that's normal just don't do it all the time for pointless reasons watch this link swearing can be very funny YouTube - Billy Connolly - Reasons For Swearing

May 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
    burtyjim
    Um hey I don't want to sware and that wasn't reasurring
    ashley568 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Jun 8, 2008, 12:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonador101
    in never say the f-word, but latley i have been acting like saying and damb and stuff are ok, my family thinks its not and is getting really annoyed at me for it to, i don't know wher i picked it up some movies i watch say S D a lot but i think it is getting out of hand, i am usually a decent person and i think people will just see another swarer when they see me.
    please help if you have any tips on how to stop i'd love it.
    It doesn't make you a bad peron to swear. But when you find yourself doing just remind yourself not to, eventually I think you will stop. It's a habit like biting your nails.

Jun 8, 2008, 09:38 AM
    GOOD NEWS!
    I have pretty much stopped, thanks to all you guys!
    THANKS
    ladieedee21 Posts: 96, Reputation: 6

Jun 8, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonador101
    GOOD NEWS!
    i have pretty much stopped, thanks to all you guys!
    THANKS

Greeat!
    We knew it!

Jun 8, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Thanks ladieedee21
    Long time no talk, but thanks for your super SUPPORT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't stop having sex.And I want to stop. [ 53 Answers ]

:( :( :( :( :( :( I hate myself so much. I feel so guilty... So trashy... Like a whore... I can't stop having sex with my boyfriend. We want to stop... But we arnt making any progress... I feel horrible... AND

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

Is there anything I can do to stop this? [ 3 Answers ]

The county sherrif's office issued a "writ of execution" just yesterday afternoon. It apparently was a default judgement entered in against me. They came to my current residence and I let them in and they proceeded to take an active inventory on what they believed to be my personal property for a...

Hot Stop Value [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a screw in value for the bathroom sink, it shuts the hot water down to a trickle when it gets too hot. I bought one years ago, but that company no longer exists. Do you know where I can get one?:)

Fan won't stop [ 2 Answers ]

The compressor on the a/c turns off but the fan continues to run. Tonight when I turned off the a/c at the t-stat, the fan and compressor came back on even though the unit was turned off. What is my problem? The unit is about 24 years old and the t-stat was replaced a few months ago.

View more questions Search