Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

May 23, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Did colonists use stone tools or are these Native American artifacts?
    I often walk the dogs in the fields and woods around our cottage. I have found a lot of arrowheads walking plowed fields after rainstorms. Amazingly I find a lot of really big spearpoints. I was starting to think I live on some kind of ancient battlefield then a friend told me there would be a lot of them if they were a stone tool known as a tobacco spear for cutting tobacco plants. Q is would colonists have used stone tools like this or is this from a settlement of farming indigenous people?:confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 23, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Those are Indian artifacts to be in abundance like that. Never heard of the tobacco implements you speak about. You may want to research your location with the local historical society and see just what was on your land. I used to find arrowheads in my backyard in Penna when I was a kid. The larger spearheads are just that - spear heads. It all depends also on what material the artifacts are made of. If they look like they are hand napped, then they are Indian as it takes a lot of skill and patience to properly knap a spear head or an arrow head.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 24, 2008, 12:22 PM
    If the majority are quartz, then definitely they are Indian made artifacts. Quartz is very difficult to work with. I have an obsidian spear head that I bought in Arizona that was knapped by a very old Indian who was a master. The edges are very sharp and can cut just about anything. Even the ones made of slate had to be hand crafted. I think what happened is the colonialists adopted these for their own uses as the edges are very sharp when they are first knapped and knives would have been at a premium over here in the New World.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Native American Indian Watercolor Art [ 4 Answers ]

I've inherited several handpainted Native American Watercolors done by artists in the Southwest during the 1950's and 1960's. How do I determine whether they are orginals, screenprints or prints? How do I determine the value of these items? If I choose to sell some of them, how can I market them...

Native American artist HIJE [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the Native American artist who signed a belt buckle of mine with the initials HIJE.

Native American Jewelry [ 2 Answers ]

What is the history of Squash Blossom necklaces?

Native American silversmith [ 3 Answers ]

I have a lovely turquoise and silver watch band which is signed "Whirling Wind." Does anyone know anything about this artist? I think it's a Navaho piece. Thanks

Native american art [ 1 Answers ]

All my sacred ways is a water color by Jonny Hawks is it worth any thing?

View more questions Search