Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pumpkinjojo Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Should I become a nurse?
    I am profoundly deaf (very deaf) I have always wanted to become a nurse since I was young, my parents are both registered nurses (my dad works as a NUM (nursing unit manager) at a woman's correction centre, goal) and my mum works at a disability unit at westmead hospital.

I was told at school I'm not allowed to become a nurse because I am deaf, but I have heard in america deaf people can work but not in emergencies?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 23, 2008, 09:06 AM
    This is quite a disability that you will have to fight to get what you want. Do you wear hearing aids? Can you communicate verbally?

Have you considered becoming an interpreter?
    ashleyl Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

May 23, 2008, 09:11 AM
    To be honest with you, I am not sure how you could be an effective nurse since you are deaf. A nurse depends on her sense of hearing for so much. It would not be possible to pick up on heart tones and lungs sounds accurately because sometimes what you are listening for is very hard to detect. Even for someone with perfect hearing some of the tones and sounds are hard to pick up. I applaud your ambition. If a nurse is what you really want to be, you will find a way to be one. Good Luck.

May 23, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Just the normal routine, e.g take blood tests stuff like that... not that involve sounds... what about nursing admin? Aged care?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2008, 12:43 PM
    so much of all nursing, listening to what the patients have to say, hearing if their breathing is hard, hearing what the doctor is telling you when you are taking the blood pressure reading.

I don't know all the proper names, but the people who draw the blood and do lab tests, or perhaps the person who is doing the x-rays but to be honest I am trying to think of any area of real nursing.

How is your lip reading, if I was talking and facing you, could you understand everything I am saying ?

May 23, 2008, 11:41 PM
    Yes I would get ut because I was taught how to lipread so well
    rawsushi Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

May 23, 2008, 11:51 PM
    There's always the opportunity to become a phlebotomist...

May 23, 2008, 11:57 PM
    What's that?

May 24, 2008, 12:17 AM
    Ok what's the main keyword for that because I can't search it up in TAFEWA
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 24, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinjojo
    whats that?
    It's a person who takes blood. Just click on this link.

Phlebotomist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May 24, 2008, 09:10 PM
    I search up for tafe courses I can't seem to find anything with that keyword does it ahave a specifiic topic to find it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I too SQUEAMISH to be a nurse? [ 10 Answers ]

I recently took a job as an OB Tech in my local hospital. I have always been extremely interested in the field of Labor and Delivery , and have been considering becoming an OB nurse. I have done very well in all aspects of this job so far- and performed my duties well. Errrr, that is , until they...

3 mo old still trying to nurse [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am hoping that somebody can help me. I recently rescued a 2 month old kitten from the pound. I don’t know if he was orphaned, or how long he spent with his mom (but he did have brothers at the pound). He tries to nurse on me (my arm, neck, back), and he tries to nurse from a really...

How to become a nurse practitioner [ 4 Answers ]

I've been back and forth lately about what I want to do with my life. I'm considering switching my major to nursing, but I only want to do nursing if I am able to continue to be a nurse practitoner. My question is.. how do you go about becoming a nurse practitioner? What does it involve and how...

Why should I become a nurse [ 6 Answers ]

I just want to know why to become a nurse what do I get out of it:)

An ob nurse [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everyone I have a questuin I want to be an ob nurse watching csections and stuff doesn't really bother me but I was wonfering do you have to actually preform any part of the csection or do you just hand the doc whatever they need? And this might sound weird but I seen a lot of c section videos...

View more questions Search