Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

May 23, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Salba recipes
    Well, this morning, I tried ground salba in my yogurt and I don't think it was the right choice... it was actually very tough to choke it down. Does any one know the best way to eat this?
    Jedid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Hi Spinphoto,
    There are many ways to eat Salba! I am surprised that you found it hard to eat Salba in your yogurt. How much Salba did you take and what yogurt was it? Ground Salba absorbs a lot of fluid and it may have made your yogurt too thick if you left it for a bit. You may want to try the whole seeds next time, or use less. Here are some more ideas:
    - sprinkle 1-2 tbsp of SalbaŽ over salads, stews, curry, soup, pasta, rice, or veggies.
    - substitute up to 20% of the flour in baking recipes with whole or ground SalbaŽ. Try SalbaŽ in bread, muffins, cookies, pizza crust, meatloaf, casseroles, or lasagna. Add double the amount of water to the recipe, for example, 1 tbsp SalbaŽ + 2 tbsp water.
    - mix 1-2 tbsp SalbaŽ into yogurt, frozen yogurt, ice cream, pudding, cottage cheese, smoothies, and shakes.
    - mix SalbaŽ into stews, spaghetti sauces, rice dishes, scrambled eggs, burgers, pancakes, and waffles.
    FYI; you don't have to grind the seeds necessarily since the husk around the seed is open and the seed softens up when it gets in contact with any fluid. This way your body should be able to break it down, and enjoy the health benefits.

I hope this information is helpful for you. If you have further questions, you can always give us a call at Source Salba,

Jedid

May 23, 2008, 02:48 PM
    I used two tbls in plain yogurt today, it was like a sour paste hahah.. I know there must be better ways to eat it, thanks for the advice. I will eat almost anything and I really didn't appreciate the flavor, maybe it was the plain yogurt...
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 02:50 PM
    What is salba?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 23, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Salba is like flax only much better. Flax eaten plain is rather strong tasting. Salba has a nutty sweet taste. I like to eat the stuff just plain out of the package. I also use my coffee bean grinder and grind up about a cup at a time and just eat that plain. Salba has a lot of nutrition for a very small seed. The size is about the size of a sesame seed. Look up Salba on the net and you'll be surprised at all the nutrition it has. I have made cheesecake using salba. I also use about 1/4 cup of Salba ground in place of flour in a receipe. I will admit though it is expensive so you want to use it sparingly. It is recommended that 2 tablespoons a day is all your body needs for calcium, omega, etc. Like I said, I just like to eat it plain and crunch it up in my mouth and swallow it with water. It is also good for irritable bowel syndrome and any gastric problem whereas flax seed can actually aggravate any bowel problems.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Thank you for the info

May 23, 2008, 10:10 PM
    OH well, turns out it was the yogurt, ex. Date was June 2nd but it was sour, sour, sour... salba is tasty.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 24, 2008, 04:42 AM
    Like I said I eat Salba just plain. It's a treat for me since it's so expensive but very good for the body. I adore flax seed bread but it upsets my innards so much I really pay for the treat. I have used ground salba like flour in some receipes and find it makes a great substitute. I can't even tell when I make cookies using Salba (and neither can anyone else tell).

I read so much about it I was fascinated to learn that the Aztecs would use the seed as food for the long distance messengers. One day I experimented and ate nothing but Salba seeds all day and had great energy. I only had a few ounces all day too. I was not hungry or tired. This ancient seed food is truly a wonder seed packed with life's goodness. Too bad the stuff is so expensive. You can buy the cheaper version called Slavia (or something like that) if you can find it and I read that basically it's the same thing and tastes the same. Haven't run across the cheaper stuff yet.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2008, 05:25 AM
    Twinkie... In my area they have been advertising salvia and people are smoking it to get high. The t.v. stations were having a field day with the stories a few months back. The law makers around here were trying to get something passed because of teens buying it. I wonder if it is the same herb...

May 24, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Chia seeds are very similar to salba...
    Twinkie what do you pay for it? I pay $16 for 150ges.

May 26, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Hi,
    There is a lot of misinformation on chia seed nowadays. I'll explain a little more about the differences between chia and Salba:
    - chia is a slang word for 'oil seed', and describes over 5 species of Salvia plants. Salba is a specific variety of Salvia hispanica L. Derived through 14 years of selective plant breeding, it has its own genetic ID program.
    - Salba is consistent: only grown in Peru by 1 grower, on a dead lakebed (nutritious soil) with drip irrigation technique, and under a very stable climate.
    - If you look in the USDA Food and Agricultural Database, you find that Salba has more omega-3, protein, potassium, magnesium? And zinc.
    - The Salba seed is the only Salvia hispanica L. seed that has been investigated in humans, at the University of Toronto/St Michael's hospital, and at the University of Bueneos Aires Argentina, since it is consistent. So, there is no evidence that any chia variety has the same effects, even though it may have the same nutrients! E.g. Salba has an open husk which allows our body to absorb its nutrients. Most chia varieties are a closed seed, like flaxseed.
    - It is true: you pay for the quality you get! Source Salba sponsors research, the people that harvest Salba in Peru are paid what they deserve (there is a lot of unfair trade in South American countries), and our seed is the cleanest product you can buy ( we have heard of beetles and grass and stones in chia seed).
    You can draw your own conclusion...

May 26, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Twinkiedooter, I would like to discuss your response further through email, could you please contact me at [email protected]? Thank you.
    trrish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Salba = Whole Chia seeds. There's no need to knock flax seeds. Both are very nutritious, and beneficial in different ways. Some people like flax seeds, some don't. Some like chia, some don't. Chia is kind of cool because you can cook with it.

A friend of mine started selling "Mila" which is a multi-level marketing version of ground chia seeds. In my opinion, the exorbitant price for Mila is not worth it. I buy my chia for a much more reasonable price at the local health food store.
    lakers140 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 10:35 AM
    There are new Salba Recipes available on SalbaSmart.com currently on the left-hand side. They are courtesy of Chef Sal and http://www.evolvewithflavor.com.

On http://www.salbasmart.com, it is the AWeber Sign-Up Box that says "Free Recipes" with an arrow and "Sign-Up" Now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone with a great Turkey Recipe? [ 14 Answers ]

Hey guys I want to make a turkey this year but I don't know what kind of recipe to go with.. I'd love to hear all of your ideas... And I would love to know how to make a more moist turkey... I don't really like turkey b.c its soooo DRY..

Breadmaker Recipes [ 3 Answers ]

My son gave us a breadmaker a couple of years ago. Does anyone have any good bread recipes to share? I have tried some of the ones in the book that came with the breadmaker but haven't really been thrilled.:(

Help me with recipes [ 11 Answers ]

I've got this problem, my dad moved out of the house, and he doesn't know how to cook, so he asked me to teach him some basic stuff about cooking and some easy recipes, could you help me find them ?

Crock Pot Recipes [ 23 Answers ]

Hey everyone I was given a crock pot and I'm just so curious to use it.. I've never used 1 before but now is the time. Can you guys recommend any good pot roast recipes or any good crock pot recipes... Thanks

Veggie recipes [ 4 Answers ]

I've never liked most vegetables but I'm working hard to include more in my diet. I'm looking for veggie recipes that even a certified vegephobe like myself might like. Does anyone have a fabulous vegetable recipe to share? I'd also love to find some vegetable recipes that call for only 4 or 5...

View more questions Search