Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richmondguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Co-Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent in Months - Need to collect money and evict
    Hello... I reside in Virginia.

My roommate (co-tenant) has not paid their half of the rent/utilities for months now due to personal situations, but the matter seems like it is not going to resolve.

How do I go about evicting my roommate and collecting the rent money owed to me? I have canceled checks from my bank account showing that I paid the full amount every month. The roommate has receipts for nothing. Both of our names are on our current lease, however. We also have a hand-written agreement we both signed at the start of our lease saying that each of us are responsible for 50% of each month's rent/utilities.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 09:24 AM
    You will have to follow the laws in your area for eviction.

Just visit the local court house, they will have the forms and can guide you to the information regarding the process.

Once you have the eviction completed, then you can sue them, probably in small claims court ,so you won't need an attorney.

My suggestion for now is to locate if possible, any banking account numbers that may be of value if and when you obtain your judgment. Even though the court may rule in your favor, you will still have to figure out how to collect the money.

Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Evict family who paid rent a couple time [ 5 Answers ]

I let my brother stay with us about 6 years ago. He was to pay rent if he could $200 a month. He paid maybe 3 times in the time he has been here. There were a few rules that he was to obey. 1. no smoking in the house 2. no open flames, candles unless there was a power outage and you...

How do I evict a tenant who is on a mth-to-mth contract with another tenant! [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 people who are on the mth-to-mth contract, 1 tenant I would Like to keep but the other I would like to evict pays his portion late and this month he has not paid his portion. Contract does not state anything about each one having to pay there own portion but does state that they are...

Can We Evict Immediately if They've NEVER Paid Rent? [ 24 Answers ]

We recently agreed to rent a house to some people. We signed the lease agreement, but the renters weren't given the lease or a copy because they haven't paid the first month's rent yet. Can we evict them without notice? They have been there for two weeks and have paid nothing, not to mention...

DC-Tenant never paid first month's rent [ 3 Answers ]

My new tenant signed a lease, paid a security deposit, but never made her fist month's rent. She had some ridiculous excuses, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt. It has been a week since the start of her lease. She has not taken possession of the unit. Can I cancel the lease and keep the...

View more questions Search