Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmccafferty Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 12:34 AM
    Autonumber fields in Access 2007
    In Access 2007, when I create a new table, it defaults to an ID field that is autonumber. That is great and works as expected. When I create another field within the same table and want it to also autonumber, that is not a presented option when I try to format that field.

How do I set a second autonumber field within the same table?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2008, 05:56 AM
    You can't. There can be only one autonumber field in a table. You may not fully understand the purpose of an autonumber datatype. It has ONE and ONLY one purpose and that's to provide a unique identifier for a record. It is not a sequential numbering system.

If you explain what you want to use this second field for, maybe I can suggest an alternative.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Access 2007: can't use Hėlp link or any other main page links [ 4 Answers ]

The program seems to work correctly but clicking on any link from the main screen (Help, Downloads, Online Templates, etc) I get a new showing a "Configuration process" . This takes a couple minutes... then I get a pop-up "In order to complete setup, a system reboot is necessary. Would you...

Access 2007 eula & gen'l question(s) [ 3 Answers ]

Bit o' background: 1. I've become proficient with DatabasePro and give it a 7 out of 10. It does what I want database-wise but difficult to get to web display. 2. I give Zoho Creator 8.5 out of 10. It's free and online, but I fear one day they'll go away or start charging. 3. I've...

Obtaining my 2007 w2 via online access [ 8 Answers ]

Where do I go online to obtain a copy of my 2007 w2?

Access 2007 Runtime FREE! [ 1 Answers ]

Microsoft has released the Runtime file for Access 2007 as a free download. This runtime allows users to run Access 2007 compatible databases without having purchased Access or Office Pro. Also free is the Developer Extensions that allow you to package an Access app with the Runtime in an...

No access to Yahoo mail today, March 10 2007 [ 2 Answers ]

I am unable to access my Yahoo e-mail account. WHY?

View more questions Search