Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garthomatic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 08:40 PM
    Protecting painted outdoor furniture?
    Anyone know what is the best way to protect painted wood from the elements? Normally on bare wood I would use spar urethane,but they say not to use that on painted surfaces.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2006, 12:15 PM
    A good coat of exterior grade paint goes a long ways to protecting wood. Sun, water, and everything that lives on wood constantly attack the paint and any wood underneath it gets to. A coat of wax won't hurt. Spar varnish is not as good as paint at protecting wood. The problem is that the UV in the sunlight passes through the clear coating and still destroys the wood under it.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Hi,
    If you have put a couple of coats of good paint on the furniture, then that is the protection the wood needs.
    I have a 6 ft. privacy fence around the back yard; painted it with two coats of good paint. It doesn't need painting again for years. Some of the sections are 30 yrs old. Even though it was "treated wood", paint still makes it last much, much longer.
    If you notice any cracking, chipping, or anything else with the paint, then a light sanding and repainting might be in order. It should last for years. Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Protecting an invention? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone advise me please? I have an over-active, caffeine-driven mind! LOL, and frequently come-up with ideas. Often these come to nothing, but some of my ideas might be worth pursuing. However: I cannot afford the cost of patenting, and I am concerned about divuldging my ideas to...

Window Chains Painted Over - What to do? [ 1 Answers ]

When someone painted the windows of my apartment (a long time ago), they painted over the chains that allow it to open and close. The window opens, but stops short of getting the air conditioner in the window. Can anyone suggest what to use to get the window to open just a bit more? I don't...

Am I protecting myself... [ 16 Answers ]

So OK - a while back I posted a thread telling you about how I cried tears of happiness for the first time and how I was falling in love with Pete. I had began opening up to Pete and opening my heart up - but now I feel really vulnerable and feel uncomfortable exposing myself - but I don't...

View more questions Search