Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anniefez Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Electronics hookup
    I'm trying to figure out how to hookup my TV that I have to use a rf modulator with to my DVR cable box and dvd/vcr combo.
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

May 26, 2008, 09:28 PM
    If you can better explain and proofread your question, there's a much better chance I'll be able to help :) What exactly are you trying to do?

May 27, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Thanks wzartv for responding to my question. Yes I hope you can help me, being frustrated with my home theater setup.

I have an older Sanyo TV - at least 6 years old, it has no A/V hookup jacks, only one place to connect the cable. I have a DVR cable box (Scientific Atlanta - Explorer 8300), which is put out by Time Warner Cable. I would like to record some movies from my DVR to my VCR. My VCR is an older model (Admiral) with no A/V jacks in the front just the back.

To complicate the situation a little more I have a Sony DVD home theater system (DAV-DX150) that I'm trying to include in my home entertainment system. The way things are setup now I have an annoying buzz sound when I'm playing a dvd.

I was led to believe that I need to have a RF modulator to run all this stuff together. So I am using one to get what little setup I can get. I'm not sure, do I need a RF modulator? I've wondered if I need a switch box (which I have no idea how to use)?

If I really wanted to complete the home entertainment I also have a Pioneer CT-W302R dual cassette player that would probably sound awesome if I knew how to connect that too.

I hope you can figure out my complications for me. Let me know if you need any other information I haven't included.

Thanks again,
    anniefez

May 28, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Now, that's a good description. Thanks :)

I have a similar Sanyo television with no A/V jacks and I understand your frustration.

RF MODULATOR/DVD QUESTION: Yes, an RF modulator is probably the best bet for this situation - you need one, especially for your DVD player, because most DVDs use a "copy protection feature" that doesn't allow you to run it through a VCR without buzzing and picture fading. That's probably what you were describing to me. Although it sounds like you are running the DVD player's audio directly to the sound system - if that's so, just make sure all of your connections are secure and correct - sometimes buzzing is caused by a loose connection or incorrect connection. How is the DVD player's audio hooked up? Is it the white & red jacks, is it a digital coax connection, is it using a fiber cable?

A/V SWITCH QUESTION: I would highly suggest this. How this works is all of your sources' (DVD, DVR, VCR, etc.) A/V wires will run to this box, which usually will have four buttons. You simply press the button of the device you want to use, and boom, it will be up on your TV. Everything would go to this box, THEN the video cable from this box goes to your RF modulator. The outgoing audio wires should go to your sound system. This box can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Radioshack, Best Buy, etc. Just make sure you get one with "4" inputs.

DVR/VCR QUESTION: For the sake of simplicity, I'd say hook these up only TEMPORARILY until you get the movies off the DVR and onto tape. When you are finished transferring, hook the VCR up to one button on the A/V switch, then the DVR to another. If you copy movies on a regular basis, then keep your DVR wired up through your VCR. You'll just have to turn on your VCR to view your DVR and you'll be able to use the A/V jacks on the rear of the VCR because you won't have anything else running into the VCR.

TAPE PLAYER QUESTION: Connect this totally separate from everything else. Your Sony home entertainment system should have many, many inputs on it's rear. You can use one for the output of the A/V switch box. You can use another for the cassette deck. This of course doesn't need to run through your A/V box, since you won't be viewing anything on a TV.

I know the above is a little on the difficult side, but I believe it should work. If you give me a little time, I'll sketch up a wiring diagram and post it here... that will hopefully makes thing easier for you - I know I'm a visual learner.

Please feel free to ask questions - I know this isn't the easiest thing to do :)

May 28, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Also, is your DVR also a cable box? Or do you tune in your cable with the TV?

May 28, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Here is a rough sketch. The image is HUGE for the sake of you being able to see all the detail.
    You might want to download it to make is easier to manage.
    I assumed some things, so not everything may be exact to what you need, but it should get you pretty far.

It looks a bit intimidating, but it's really not that complicated.
    Do you have a kid in the house? If so, grab the kid and make him/her help you out... they're good with this stuff, you know ;)

Be sure to scroll to read my original response if you haven't yet.

Jun 5, 2008, 05:21 AM
    Did you give this a try? Has it worked out for you yet?

Jun 14, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Hello, thanks so much for your help and sorry its taken me so long to get back. Almost everything is working perfectly. I haven't had the chance yet to buy another RCA plug to hook up the Pioneer dual cassette player.

One problem I've noticed but don't have the patience yet to work on in this heat is the DVD player. I have sound but no picture. Have I hooked up something wrong?

Thanks again,
    anniefez

Jul 2, 2008, 06:26 AM
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. AskMeHelpDesk doesn't always send me the email that notifies me when someone replies.

It's quite difficult for me to tell what could be wrong. Perhaps you could snap a picture of your wiring? Just make sure it's nice and clear.
    cagy2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 04:35 PM
    I have the operating manual for CT-W302R
    [email protected]
    Chris Webb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 02:24 PM
    You need an scfm series modulator from Logenex. They make the only one that works with digital cable. Go to logenex.com and they can sort it out for you. It is very simple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IT Electronics [ 7 Answers ]

This company have offered me to work from home over internet, but could not find their website, there are numerous websites by that name. How to know if it is genuine offer or genuine company?

Re:Electronics [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a question regarding particular components required for an electronics project I am working on. I hope that anyone with a reasonable knowledge of transistors gets a chance to answer this question as it would be a great help to me. I have a small electronic radio powered with a 9v...

View more questions Search