Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    20anonymous08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

May 22, 2008, 11:12 AM
    What does filing bankruptcy do?
    Hi I am 24 years old and I have a few debts that I cannot afford to pay because I had lost my job and became extremely behind to the point that some have went to judgements in civil court and I just cannot afford to pay money to all these and still survive. I have arthritis and my prescriptions and dr visits are adding up! I have a 2 year old to take care of. I was wondering can I file bankruptcy? And if I do file bankruptcy how many years does it take for me to qualify for anything. Being that I am so young I am only renting and my credit is terrible so I cannot qualify for anything. I just want to know when I would be able to apply and qualify for a home loan. Is there a minimum amount of debt you must have to file bankruptcy? How much does it cost to file bankruptcy? What does bankruptcy really do? I am in New Mexico. And need some advice. I cannot risk getting a garnishment of my wages or anything because then I would lose everything! Please help.

I am aware of my situation and ask that you do not criticize just please help if you can.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 11:17 AM
    There are so many variables in your question, you really should just talk to a Bankruptcy Attorney.

They will give you an initial consultation without any charge, explain how it works, and discuss the fees that they will charge.

That really is your best option.
    DBmtgprocessor Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

May 22, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Your cost for filing BK will depend on the particular attorney you use and the chapter you file. Chapter 7 is usually cheaper than 13 because it is overwith sooner and there is less paperwork. An attorney that specializes in Bankruptcy can answer all your specific questions and they all usually meet with you for free the first time. As far as future home loans most lenders require at least 2 years since a bankruptcy unless you have a big down payment (40-50%). For FHA it's 2 years and that's most likely your best bet after you get yourself straightened out again financially.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 02:07 PM
    The filing fee for bankruptcy went up a while ago. I remember when it was about $300 to file. A lot has happened in the bankruptcy laws in the last few years as well. A consult with a bankruptcy attorney can help. There are also do-it-yourself bankruptcy kits out there that you can fill out and file yourself - BUT don't do this until you talk to an attorney to see if you even should file bankruptcy in the first place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

Can U still file bankruptcy in Florida and does anyone know the stipulations also can I file if I have an judgement against me

Filing bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

What bills are you not allowed to file on your bankruptcy suite?

Filing taxes after bankruptcy filing [ 4 Answers ]

We filed for chapter7 personal bankruptcy in 2007. We gave up our house and business (franchise) because we could get fresh start. We wiped out ~200k in debt in the process.WE lost ~50OK in EQUITY from the house and money initially invested over the last 3 years in the business. Do you recommend...

Filing bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I've gotten deeply into debt trying to help my fiancé out of a sticky financial situation. I owe roughly $50,000 (loans, credit cards and bills I've not been able to pay like medical) and I make $40,000. I didn't look at the monthly payments on top of one another, which I should have. Now I...

Filing after bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I filed Chpt 7 this year and I am wondering how it will, if it will affect my filing. What documents do I need to share with my accountant? etc.

View more questions Search