Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Augie T Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Double pane windows
    I have a large triangle shapped window that the seal has been broken on... is there a way or a company that repairs them... the window was a special order 25 years ago & I fear the cost of replacement would be real expensive
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

May 22, 2008, 08:45 AM
    I would call your local window companies and get quotes from each of them. They would be better able to assess the damage.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 22, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Repair a thermopane window? Not possible according to my glazier. Once the seal breaks air and moisture get inside and start condensing and leaving spots and residue.
    Tommyjo206 Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

May 23, 2008, 11:28 AM
    I agree with ballengerb1. I have been selling thesr windows for 11 years. Fixing the existing glass unit is not an possible. There are two options - call a glass company in your area to have them replace the glass unit. This may be the easist since the window frame will not be removed from the wall. Second is to replace the entire window unit. This may be the more costly choice since you will be paying for a new window and labor to install it. Of course you would be getting an entirly new window. Check out the costs on both options. The local glass Co should give free estimates. If there is a Lowe's or Home Depot in the area, they can also give the cost for the window and install labor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Repair a thermopane window? Not possible according to my glazier. Once the seal breaks air and moisture get inside and start condensing and leaving spots and residue.
    WindowMedic Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 24, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Absolutely possible! I restore foggy windows every day.

The Window Medics (defogit.com) process shows immediate results and has a 20 year warranty on refogging. It's not new but is relatively unknown - even in the window business. The cost usually ends up being 30% to 70% less expensive than replacing. Go to the web site to find the dealer in your area - they'll give you a free estimate.

Window Medic
    Chattanoogawindowmedics.com
    ApexWindowWorks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 08:11 AM

Foggy windows can be fixed. It is used a proven process that quickly removes moisture from failed thermal pane windows and sliding doors, and permanently recovers insulating R-Value. It is possible effectively re-engineer a window, introducing breathing holes so the unit can expel moisture on its own, at a fraction of the price of replacing the unit! Check apexwindowworks.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing moisture between double pane glass doors [ 8 Answers ]

Dear Readers, Does anyone know where I can get do-it-yourself materials to correct foggy windows (ie. Moisture that gets trapped between glass panes)? I have heard about a simple process of drilling holes and installing small vents. However, not sure where to best drill the holes and where I...

How to tell if a seal is bad on dual-pane, vinyl windows? [ 9 Answers ]

I know from washing windows last spring that I have at least 3 Vinyl Windows that have a bad seal, since they looked hazy or dirty, even after cleaning both sides very well. I was dumb... I didn't tag the windows. I want to get them replaced, but I can't recall which windows are bad. Is...

Vinyl Double Hung Windows don't LOCK [ 1 Answers ]

All, So I just bought a condo, it has vinyl double hung windows. Bad part is that they don't lock. I push the top window as far as possible, and the lower one down as much as it can go, but I am still 1/2 inch off from the latch being able to lock. How can I correct this ? Is it expensive...

Gapco double pane window leaks [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a house in Tennessee that was built in 1991. The house has the original windows and the name on the frame of the windows is Gapco. I have never heard of this manufacturer of windows. Does anyone know where to buy replacement windows from th is manufacturer?

Double pane window single pane broken [ 2 Answers ]

Our house is about 20 years old. It was built with Gapco double pane windows. A couple of days ago something hit the outside of the double living room window and broke one the outside panes of glass. How do I go about getting the glass replaced? Thanks

View more questions Search