Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artteachguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Car repossession
    My 23yr.old son has had his car repossessed. He has no assets and works as a construction helper making maybe $300. Week off the books. After deduction $2,000. From the auction price of the car for towing and fees, he still owes $10,000. What are his options? Does the credit union have any recourse? They have threatened legal action.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

May 22, 2008, 07:32 AM
    How did a 23 year old without a job qualify to buy a car in the price range of $15-20K or more? If the answer is that you co-signed, then the credit union will be coming after you. From their perspective, you give them the best odds of getting their money.

If you did not co-sign, they would normally go after his assets. Since he has none, they will get a legal judgment against him and wait for him to get assets. When he does or when he gets a job on the books, they will claim the assets or garnish his wages. Their other option is to turn it over to a collection agency who will harass him, but as long as he has nothing for them to attach, they can't really do anything.

The one thing that he won't have any time soon is credit.

Great way to start adult life.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 07:48 AM
    With that large an unpaid balance, you can almost be certain that they will sue him.

Some lenders are more aggressive than others.

If there are no assets, and no income that can be garnished, he will suffer only the negative information on his credit bureaus for now. If he becomes employed, or obtains some substantial assets, before the statute runs out, they will attempt to recover their losses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repossession of home [ 4 Answers ]

Can a financial company make a repo of your home if you are making an effort to catch up your past due payments

Auto Repossession [ 10 Answers ]

I am a college student paying for college, when my car gets taken from me by an ex-boyfriend at the time. He moves out of town and takes MY car that I was paying on. To make a long story short I bought the car Dec. of 2005 and the last payment I made on the car was in May of 2006. I got behind on...

Repossession [ 4 Answers ]

I am facing a repo of a mobile home,the company says they will sell the trailer & of course I am still in debt for what will be left after sale.. the rep told me since they know I can't pay that either, that they will send a 1099 form to IRS showing whatever I still owe as earned income?? and I...

Repossession [ 2 Answers ]

To whom it may concern, I have a truck that I am still making payments on but it is just sitting because the head gasket blew and I need a new engine. In the mean time I bought a new car and am making payments on the new car. Because I am upside in my loan for the truck I can't sell it. What...

View more questions Search