Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missingheart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 11:42 PM
    Child support
    I am a father of a young girl I was told that I could not know where they live and every time I find out they move yet I filed for the stimilus payment being on social security and disability and found out that I owe around 55,000.00 in child support the child support office said court ordered me to pay 600.00 a month and I only make 625 a month what can I do to fix this and not take the risk of being locked up when I have just found this out after 7 years
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 22, 2008, 12:00 AM
    First off, I'm sorry you are in a position like this. I would like to assume there are options I could research for you. This is not my field, but I do know there are people on here that may be able help you. I believe you can edit your question to explain what State/Province/country you are in.
    Another question that may come up is what were the circumstances that allowed you to just find out now? Is there a warrant for your arrest? These may help people answer your question.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by missingheart
    i am a father of a young girl i was told that i could not know where they live and everytime i find out they move yet i filed for the stimilus payment being on social security and disability and found out that i owe around 55,000.00 in child support the child support office said court ordered me to pay 600.00 a month and i only make 625 a month what can i do to fix this and not take the risk of being locked up when i have just found this out after 7 years

You MUST go back to the Court that issued the support order, file a Petition for a reduction and explain the circumstances to the Judge, see what they can arrange on future payments and the past indebtedness. Were you aware there was a support order and you were not paying? I know you couldn't find them but did you advise the Court you were under an Order but couldn't find the mother and child?

The longer you wait the worse this will get. In many States you can also lose your Driver's License for unpaid support and even States which do not allow SS payments to be garnisheed DO allow monies to be taken for child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Continued child support when child quits school [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York & this is my question... Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments,...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search