Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    batgirl2009 Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2008, 10:12 PM
    A Boy My Own Age
    All right so I have taken everyone's advice and am sticking to guys my own age. So my friends from my community service set me up with this guy who is 17 years old and he’s a junior (like me) at a private single-sex (they have a girls division) school within the same general neighborhood as my school. The twist is that both the guy and I were blind folded so neither of us knows what the other one looks like. The reason my friends did this is because I took what you guys said to heart about being a seductive siren and stressed that I didn’t want any relationship that was just based upon my looks. This boy was totally cool with it. So we met at a Starbucks and talked. Surprisingly enough it turns out that we have a lot in common. I had a FANTASTIC time talking to him. And I didn’t feel like jail bait. (I know… I know… It’s shocking huh)? At the end of our meeting he told me that he didn’t want to exchange phone numbers or see me because he respects my desires to be seen as a person and not a body. But he said that I was very “intellectually attractive”. All my friends were offended by that comment but I think it if the sweetest thing a guy has ever said to me. Is this totally weird… not just the comment but the whole interaction?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

May 21, 2008, 11:37 PM
    It's only weird if it is weird to you. Maybe he is afraid or insecure about his looks. I think a guy saying you are intellectually attractive is very cool. Maybe you guys can work up enough nerve to actually see each other
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 21, 2008, 11:38 PM
    You both seem to be getting along with it the way it is. Just make sure he is who he says he is, and feels the way he says he feels.
    Time will tell, and in the mean time have fun.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 11:39 PM
    Hey there! I don't know your reference to your other posts regarding being a seductive siren but I can relate to the feelings you express. The experiment was totally interesting but I doubt will have much popularity with guys! LOL I admire you for doing it however, as well as having admiration for the guy being willing to be a part of this. I thought his comment was very kind. Gets rid of a lot of pretense and preset notions of the other person based on looks, not terribly practical in daily practice. LOL

I applaud you for your experiment. Bravo!!
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 21, 2008, 11:40 PM
    LOL... Wait! You guys were sitting in starbucks with blindfolds on? That must have been too fun!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 22, 2008, 05:04 AM
    Its all about having fun, and lots of it while you get to know each other.

May 22, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Thanks guys! And for Greg Quinn: yes we were in Starbucks with blindfolds on. Only the boy and I had them on but there were about 4 other of my friends with us the whole time kind of making sure everything went okay. As for having fun... we both did. We exchanged emails and have expressed interest in hanging out again. In a safe but fun group environment. He's pretty cool. And I enjoy talking to him and not having to worry about him thinking of me as an object. However we have decided not to rush anything... we want this to stay very, as he said, Platonic. Apparently girls have liked him just for his body so we are trying to avoid that on both ends. Once we are both okay with it, then we will meet without blindfolds. Until then we a tenatively scheduled to meet at the library to talk about his favorite book. The Great Gatsby, which I CAN'T WAIT TO DO! So we will see and I keep you all posted!
    emopunk7 Posts: 1,052, Reputation: 161
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Wow, this sounds unique. Good for you!

May 22, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by emopunk7
    Wow, this sounds very unique. Good for you!
    Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search